Solving for Simple Harmonic Motion: A Picture Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for simple harmonic motion and how to determine its period. The equation is of the form ##~\ddot y=-\omega^2 y~## and any equation in that form describes simple harmonic motion. By plugging in the most general solution, the period of the motion can be deduced.
zenterix
Homework Statement
An electric dipole lying in the xy-plane with a uniform electric field applied in the positive x-direction is displaced by a small angle ##\theta## from its equilibrium position. The charges are separated by a distance ##2a##. The moment of inertia of the dipole about the center of mass is ##I_{cm}##.

If the dipole is released from this position, show that its angular orientation exhibits simple harmonic motion. What is the period of oscillation?
Relevant Equations
$$\vec{\tau}=-2aE_x\sin{\theta} \hat{k}$$

$$\tau_z=I_{cm}\alpha_z$$

$$\alpha_z=\frac{\tau_z}{I_{cm}}=\frac{-2aE_x\sin{\theta}}{I_{cm}}=-B\sin{\theta}$$

where $$B=\frac{2aE_x}{I_{cm}}$$

This is a differential equation. I think that solving this equation would provide the correct result, but I don't want to go this route.

One route is, if ##\theta## is small, to use the approximation ##\sin{\theta}\approx\theta##.

Then

$$\alpha_z(t)=\theta''(t)=-B\theta(t)$$

I think this is the differential equation representing a simple harmonic motion of an ideal spring with

$$B=\frac{k}{m}$$
Here is a picture of the problem

1674603667180.jpeg

It is not clear to me how to really prove that the equation for ##\theta(t)## is simple harmonic motion, and what the period of this motion is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is the equation for simple harmonic motion which is of the form ##~\ddot y=-\omega^2 y~## where ##\omega## is a real constant and the differentiation is with respect to time. Any equation in that form describes simple harmonic motion. Do you know what the most general solution of that is? If so, plug it in and you should be able to deduce the period of the motion.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around a central point, with the same period and amplitude.

What is a Picture Problem in Simple Harmonic Motion?

A Picture Problem in Simple Harmonic Motion is a way of visualizing the motion of an object by drawing a graph of its position, velocity, and acceleration over time. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the object and can aid in solving problems related to SHM.

How do you solve for Simple Harmonic Motion using a Picture Problem?

To solve for Simple Harmonic Motion using a Picture Problem, you will need to first identify the key components of the problem, such as the amplitude, period, and initial conditions. Then, you can use the equations of motion for SHM to plot the position, velocity, and acceleration graphs. From there, you can analyze the graphs to find the necessary information, such as maximum displacement or velocity.

What are the equations of motion for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equations of motion for Simple Harmonic Motion are x = A cos(ωt), v = -ωA sin(ωt), and a = -ω^2A cos(ωt), where x is the position, v is the velocity, a is the acceleration, A is the amplitude, and ω is the angular frequency.

What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a mass on a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. These all exhibit SHM because the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.