Simple Harmonic Motion of Charges

In summary: Does it have a thickness? Is the charge distributed uniformly around the ring?In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a negatively charged particle in a ring of positive charge. The particle is constrained to move along the x-axis and is released after being moved a small distance x. The attempt at a solution involves finding the net force on the particle and equating it to the torque on the particle. However, it appears that blindly using formulas without understanding the context and orientation of the ring may have led to an incorrect result. More information is needed to solve the problem accurately.
phatmomi

Homework Statement

A negatively charged particle -q is placed at the center of a uniformly charged ring of radius a having positive charge Q. The particle, confined to move along the x-axis, is moved a small distance x along the axis (x << a) and released. Show that th eparticle oscillates in simple harmonic motion with a frequency given by
f = (1/2pi)(kqQ/ma^3)^(1/2).

Homework Equations

F = kq1q2/r^2
torque = r x F
torque = (I)(alpha)
I (moment of inertia) = mL^2 (L = distance from point about which rotation occurs, in this case, approx. L = a)
alpha = d^2(theta)/dt^2
*Where theta is angle between a and the hypotenuse in the triangle with base and height a and x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding net force on -q as exerted by the ring (relevant force is only in x direction)
F = -kQq/a(a-x) + kQq/a(a+x)
F = -2kQqx/a^3

then I plugged this into torque = r x F
where r is approx. a
and equated with torque = I(alpha)
which gave me the motion for simple harmonic motion d^2(theta)/dt^2 + 2kQqx(theta)/ma^4
(I made use of the limit lim(∆theta-->0) sin(theta)/theta = 1)

and from this, the angular frequency should be (2kQqx/ma^4)^(1/2)
which gives f = (1/2(pi))(kQqx/ma^4)^(1/2)
which obviously isn't the answer.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears what you're doing wrong is blindly using formulas without understanding what they mean.

You didn't explain how the ring is oriented relative to the x-axis. Does it lie in the yz-plane with its center at the origin?

What is simple harmonic motion of charges?

Simple harmonic motion of charges is the back and forth movement of charges in a system that follows a specific pattern. It is a type of oscillatory motion that occurs when a charged particle is acted upon by a restoring force that is directly proportional to its displacement from a fixed point.

What is the equation for simple harmonic motion of charges?

The equation for simple harmonic motion of charges is F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This equation is known as Hooke's law and it describes the relationship between the force and displacement in a system undergoing simple harmonic motion.

What are some examples of simple harmonic motion of charges?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion of charges include the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of a mass on a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. In these systems, the charges experience a restoring force that brings them back to their original position after being displaced.

How does amplitude affect simple harmonic motion of charges?

Amplitude in simple harmonic motion of charges refers to the maximum displacement of the charges from their equilibrium position. As the amplitude increases, the distance traveled by the charges also increases, resulting in a larger displacement and a greater force acting on the charges. This can affect the frequency and period of the motion, as well as the energy of the system.

What factors can affect the period of simple harmonic motion of charges?

The period of simple harmonic motion of charges can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the charges, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. Additionally, any external forces acting on the charges can also impact the period of the motion. In general, a larger mass, a smaller spring constant, and a larger amplitude will result in a longer period of simple harmonic motion.