Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple? Integration Problem (Trig Sub?)

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    I can't get it! I'm pretty sure it's trig substition

Its a practice problem, if someone could show me the light (or steps) that would be wonderful
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2
    well, yeah a trig substitution would work, try to let x=sin(t) , so you will get dx=cos(t)dt
    after you substitute it back you willl end up with something like this

integ of (sin(t))^2dt

Is this a homework problem by the way???

Can you go from here, anyway??
  4. Feb 4, 2008 #3
    No its not a homework problem....its a conceptual problem ....but i dont get it, and I'm not that great with calculus to tell you the truth im not a math major i just want to get it! So is this what you mean....

[tex]\int(sinx)^{2}[/tex][tex] / [/tex][tex]\sqrt{1-sinx^{2}}[/tex]

so using u subtitution ( or whatever letter you use)...
    du= cosx
    and since there is no cos in the original then 1/cos(du)

(1/cos)[tex]\int du(u)^{2}[/tex][tex] / [/tex][tex]\sqrt{1-u^{2}}[/tex]

and go from there? did i do it right?
  5. Feb 4, 2008 #4
    Well You did not get it right, to be honest. Look, [tex]\int\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}dx[/tex] now let sin(t)=x, from here after defferentiating we get cos(t)dt=dx, now let us substitute this back to the integral, so the integral will take this form:
    [tex]\int\frac{(sin(t))^{2}}{\sqrt{1-(sin(t))^{2}}}cos(t)dt[/tex], now remember that (sin(t))^2= 1-(cos(t))^2, so afer we substitute the integral becomes:
    [tex]\int\frac{(sin(t))^{2}}{\sqrt{(cos(t))^{2}}}cos(t)dt[/tex]= [tex]\int\frac{(sin(t))^{2}}{cos(t)}cos(t)dt[/tex]= [tex]\int (sin(t))^{2}dt[/tex], now do u know how to evaluate this one?
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?