1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(simple)Journal Papers using Step Potential

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am a beginning quantum mechanics student, and I need to solve a journal paper that uses the step potential fairly simply. I've been searching for (literally) days, but everything seems to be far too complicated. Can someone please point me in a direction, or offer some suggestions?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've searched iop, physics letters, aip and solid state electronics.
    I've used parameters like "heterojuctions" "step potential limiting case" "scattering matricies"

I really appreciate any help - this is extremely frustrating, time consuming and unproductive. Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2
    Do you mean you need to reproduce the theoretical calculations present which involve a step function? I'm not exactly clear on what you're trying to do.

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3
    Yes, I'm sorry.

The paper should present some sort of use of the step potential. Maybe approximating a more complex system.
    I am supposed to (in painstaking detail) reproduce the equations in the paper based on the information given to verify them. Does that make sense?

I'm having a very difficult time finding papers simple enough for me to reproduce the calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook