1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple kinematics problem: avg. acceleration if a car's going 12 m/s and accel

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    A basic kinematics problem that I just can't get for some reason. I'm having trouble visualizing the graph.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What's the average acceleration if a car's going 12 m/s constant speed, then accelerates for 12 seconds at 1.7 m/s^2 acceleration?
    Variables: none?

2. Relevant equations
    ? I do not know. At all.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had graphed speed over time with the function as a horizontal line until it reached the origin, where it gained a slope of 1.7 because of the acceleration. I don't know if I'm visualizing the increase in speed correctly or if it would become an exponential curve. If this was the result, I don't know how I would then find average speed--total distance over time. Would I need to know calculus to figure this out? So this is where I'm stuck.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Missing information - it doesn't say how long it is going at constant speed.
    You could use v = vi + at to find the final velocity.
    The average acceleration would be a = (change in velocity)/time
    where "time" would be the total of the constant speed time and the 12 seconds of acceleration.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    Whoops! Yeah, I forgot to specify that the 12 s was the entire period... the time when it was going 12 m/s was not included in calculations except as a starting value, i.e. v(0).

I'm sorry, I did ending up figuring this out. It was just averaging 12 m/s with the speed after 12 s with acceleration, which was 32.4 m/sec - 1.7 m/s^2 times 12 seconds and plus 12 m/s initial speed - to get 22.2 m/sec.

Oh, and I put average acceleration instead of average speed. Well. I'm sorry, I was not being nice to you. :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook