Calculating Acceleration for a Car Stopping on a Dime: Kinematics Question Help

In summary: A or D.In Summary, the answer may be either A or D. The attempt at a solution tried to solve for the time, but that may not be relevant.
DracoMalfoy

Homework Statement

A commercial claims that a car can stop on a dime (17.9mm). If a car is initially traveling at 13.4m/s, what acceleration would the car experience coming to a stop in that short distance?

Homework Equations

avg acceleration
Coversion

The Attempt at a Solution

I recognize that the acceleration may be negative since the car is coming to a stop. So i kept that in mind as I tried solving.

I first converted 17.9mm to m and got 0.179m.

I then tried to draw it out and label values.
  • Initial velocity: 13.4m/s
  • Acceleration: ?
  • Displacement: 0.179m
  • I'm assuming that the final velocity is 0m/s since its coming to a stop.
I then tried to solve for the time. But would that be irrelevant in this question?

The question is also multiple choice.
A) -5m/s^2
B) 250m/s^2
C) 10m/s^2
D) -5000m/s^2
E) 240m/s^2

So I'm thinking that the answer maybe either be A or D. I'm just not sure what steps to take next to get to either conclusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
DracoMalfoy said:
17.9mm to m and got 0.179m.
You're sure?

DracoMalfoy said:

Homework Statement

A commercial claims that a car can stop on a dime (17.9mm). If a car is initially traveling at 13.4m/s, what acceleration would the car experience coming to a stop in that short distance?

Homework Equations

avg acceleration
Coversion

I recognize that the acceleration may be negative since the car is coming to a stop. So i kept that in mind as I tried solving.

I then tried to solve for the time. But would that be irrelevant in this question?

A) -5m/s^2
B) 250m/s^2
C) 10m/s^2
D) -5000m/s^2
E) 240m/s^2

So I'm thinking that the answer maybe either be A or D. I'm just not sure what steps to take next to get to either conclusion.
Solve what for time? Can you post what you did? Also, some relevant equations will help.

Bystander said:
You're sure?

Damn. Right. its 0.0179m x.x

kuruman said:
Solve what for time? Can you post what you did? Also, some relevant equations will help.

I look to 4 kinematic equations including one for average velocity and one for average acceleration (Vf: Final Velocity, Vi: Initial Velocity, a=Acceleration, t= Time, Δd=Displacemet); Δx: Change in position, Δt: Change in time
  • Vf=Vi+ a⋅t
  • Δd=Vi(t)+1/2a⋅t
  • Vf^2=Vi^2+2a⋅Δd
  • Δd=1/2(Vf+Vi)t
Average Velocity= Δx/Δt
Average Acceleration= Δv/Δt

I basically just label values and try to see which equation is best to solve. in this instance i used:

Vf^2=Vi^2+2a⋅Δd

Since i had displacement, initial velocity, and final velocity. I solved for a. My answer was -5015m/s^2

Likes kuruman
The initial velocity is given: its magnitude is 13.4m/s.
The final velocity has a magnitude of 0m/s since the car is no longer moving.
The displacement is given: its magnitude is 17.9mm (or 0.0179m).
Therefore, to find the acceleration, the following equation can be used:
Vf2 - Vi2 = 2ad
(0)2 - (13.4)2 = 2a(0.0179)
0 - 179.56 = 0.0358a
-179.56 = 0.0358a
a = - 5015.64 m/s2
The answer is closest to D, which must be the correct answer.

Weam Abou Hamdan said:
The initial velocity is given: its magnitude is 13.4m/s.
The final velocity has a magnitude of 0m/s since the car is no longer moving.
The displacement is given: its magnitude is 17.9mm (or 0.0179m).
Therefore, to find the acceleration, the following equation can be used:
Vf2 - Vi2 = 2ad
(0)2 - (13.4)2 = 2a(0.0179)
0 - 179.56 = 0.0358a
-179.56 = 0.0358a
a = - 5015.64 m/s2
The answer is closest to D, which must be the correct answer.
Posting full solutions is against the forum's rules (Short Summary → Point 3).
Instead, guide the seeker on the right track by allowing them to explore all aspects of a particular problem.
No offence to you, but the purpose of PF is to help the seeker understand the different sciences; and not to serve as a platform for showing off how bright the responder is.

DracoMalfoy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

avg acceleration
Coversion

A) -5m/s^2
B) 250m/s^2
C) 10m/s^2
D) -5000m/s^2
E) 240m/s^2

Note: When you have a multiple choice question, you are not really finding THE answer, you are identifying which of the offerings IS the answer.
I like that you knew acceleration would be negative, and thus eliminated 3 of the options.
If the answer was -5, then it would take between 2 and 3 seconds to stop from a speed of 13.4 m/s.
Given the average speed during the "slow down" is 6.7 m/s [(13.4 + 0)/2], in 2 seconds the car would travel 13.4 m, so in this case more than 13m.
This -5 can be excluded leaving just one option.

If you use the equations correctly, it will identify the answer correctly - just take longer. Use you time on the more difficult questions.

Likes Bystander

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects as they move through space and time.

2. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics focuses on describing the motion of objects, while dynamics involves understanding the forces that cause the motion. In other words, kinematics is concerned with the 'what' of motion, while dynamics is concerned with the 'why'.

3. What are the three equations of motion in kinematics?

The three equations of motion in kinematics are:

1. Position: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  2. Velocity: v = v0 + at
  3. Acceleration: v2 = v02 + 2a(x-x0)

4. How do you solve kinematics problems?

To solve kinematics problems, you need to identify the known and unknown variables, and then use the appropriate equation(s) to find the missing variable. It is also important to pay attention to the units and use the correct equations for one-dimensional or two-dimensional motion.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific point in time. Average velocity is calculated over a certain interval, while instantaneous velocity is calculated at a specific moment in time.