Simple Kinematics Problem, unsure of my error

In summary, an object launched vertically with an initial velocity of 20 m/s and no air resistance reaches a maximum height of 91.74 meters. Using the conservation of energy method, the height is calculated to be 91.74 meters, but using the kinematic equation vf = vo + at gives a time of 2.039 seconds, which does not correspond to the calculated height. The error was found to be a mistake in the initial calculation of the height using the conservation of energy equation.
N8G

Homework Statement

Object launched vertically with v initial =20 m/s. No air resistance. How long does it take to reach its max height?

Homework Equations

1/2 at^2 + vot = dy
.5mv^2=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by using conservation of energy to find the max height. .5mv^2 = mgh
h=(v^2)/2g = 91.74 m
I use that number to solve for t using the quadratic formula.
1/2(-9.81)t^2 + 20t - 91.74 = 0
Using the quadratic formula with this equation gives me imaginary solutions and I'm unsure what error I've made that leads to that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF !

N8G said:

Homework Statement

Object launched vertically with v initial =20 m/s. No air resistance. How long does it take to reach its max height?

Homework Equations

1/2 at^2 + vot = dy
.5mv^2=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by using conservation of energy to find the max height. .5mv^2 = mgh
h=(v^2)/2g = 91.74 m
I use that number to solve for t using the quadratic formula.
1/2(-9.81)t^2 + 20t - 91.74 = 0
Using the quadratic formula with this equation gives me imaginary solutions and I'm unsure what error I've made that leads to that.

There is a simpler way of doing this problem .

What is the velocity of object on reaching the maximum height ?

Can you think of a kinematic equation relating initial velocity , final velocity and time ?

conscience said:
Welcome to PF !
There is a simpler way of doing this problem .

What is the velocity of object on reaching the maximum height ?

Can you think of a kinematic equation relating initial velocity , final velocity and time ?

Yeah, I know that vf = vo +at however that gives me 0 = 20 + (-9.81)t and solving for t gives me a time of 2.039 seconds. However the work that I had already done with energy conservation told me that the max height of the object, that coincides with the point at which its velocity becomes zero, is 91.74 meters. With an initial velocity of 20 m/s, and only traveling for 2.039 sec, the object would never reach 90 meters without accelerating. I just don't understand my error.

N8G said:
h=(v^2)/2g = 91.74 m
Check this calculation. If g is in the denominator, then you should use parentheses in the denominator: h=v2/(2g)

N8G said:
the max height of the object, that coincides with the point at which its velocity becomes zero, is 91.74 meters.

Check your calculations .

Likes N8G
(v^2)/(2g) = 400/(2*9.81) = approximately 20

Okay awesome. I must've made an egregious calculator error in the beginning. Thank you!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a simple kinematics problem?

A simple kinematics problem involves determining the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object based on its initial conditions and the laws of motion.

3. What are the key equations used in kinematics?

The key equations used in kinematics are the equations of motion: v = u + at, s = ut + 1/2at^2, and v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, t is time, and s is displacement.

4. What are some common errors made in simple kinematics problems?

Some common errors made in simple kinematics problems include using incorrect signs for acceleration and displacement, not considering the direction of motion, and using the wrong units for time and velocity.

5. How can I check my answer for a simple kinematics problem?

To check your answer for a simple kinematics problem, you can use the equations of motion to calculate the final velocity and displacement and compare it to your original values. You can also use a graph of position vs. time or velocity vs. time to visualize and verify your answer.