Physics kinematics problem (not homework, but my own)

In summary: The only thing to remember is that the ball starts at 1.1m, not 0m. Therefore, the displacement is 12m-1.1m=10.9m.In summary, this conversation discusses a physics problem involving a baseball being thrown straight up and falling back down. The summary includes calculations for the speed of the ball when it leaves the hand, the time it takes for the ball to fall to the ground, and the speed of the ball right before it strikes the ground. It also addresses confusion about the equations used and the displacement of the ball. The final calculations show that the ball reaches a height of 12 meters and falls back down in approximately 3 seconds.
grooveactiva

Homework Statement

This is a physics problem that I made up in order to understand one aspect of kinematics in 1-dimension: A baseball is thrown straight up, leaving the hand which is 1.1 meter above the ground. It reaches a height of 12 meters. (a) What must be the speed of the baseball when it leaves the hand to reach this height? (b) How long does it take for the baseball to fall to the ground? (c) At what speed does it have just before it strikes the ground?

Homework Equations

y = yi + vi(Δt) + ½a(Δt)2
vf - vi = a(Δt)
vf2 - vi2 = 2a(Δs)
a =g = 9.8 m/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) How fast baseball leaves hand:
vf2 - vi2 = 2(Δt)
vi = 0 m/s
vf2 + 0 = 2(-9.8 m/s2)(12-1.1 m)
vf = √(2*-9.8*10.9) = 14.6 m/s

(b) How long (how much time) does it take for baseball to fall to the ground:
vf - vi = a(Δt)
vf = 0 m/s because ball hits ground
(Δt) = (0 - 14.6 m/s)/-9.8 m/s2 = 1.5 seconds
Or, should I have used y = yi + vi(Δt) + ½a(Δt)2, with vf = 14.6 m/s
But then I get via the quadratic formula: time = -0.0074 s (discard because negative time) or 3.05 seconds
Why doesn't these two equations match in their anwers for time: 1.5 seconds vs. 3.05 seconds?

(c) At what speed does the baseball have just before it strikes the ground: Not sure how to proceed until I can figure out the answer to part (b) above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
grooveactiva said:
vf = 0 m/s because ball hits ground
This is wrong. It violates your basic assumption that the acceleration of the ball is just due to gravity and the resulting parabolic motion. In order to stop the ball, you need a force from the ground. Instead, you need to look for when the ball has the appropriate displacement.

Okay. So, the velocity of the baseball when it hits the ground is not zero.
This makes sense because the ball bounces, so there is a force opposing the fall of the baseball. So it must be 3.05 seconds.
But now I am confused: Is this 3.05 seconds the amount of time the ball is in the air from the time it was thrown up (from height of 1.1 m), then it reaches its peak height, and then falls to the ground? Or is it just the time it takes for it to fall from peak height to the ground?
I am assuming the former because the equation of displacement has a parabolic path to it (Δt)2.

grooveactiva said:
Okay. So, the velocity of the baseball when it hits the ground is not zero.
This makes sense because the ball bounces, so there is a force opposing the fall of the baseball. So it must be 3.05 seconds.
But now I am confused: Is this 3.05 seconds the amount of time the ball is in the air from the time it was thrown up (from height of 1.1 m), then it reaches its peak height, and then falls to the ground? Or is it just the time it takes for it to fall from peak height to the ground?
I am assuming the former because the equation of displacement has a parabolic path to it (Δt)2.

There's a quick way to estimate how far a ball will fall in 3s. The final speed is about 30m/s, hence the average speed is 15m/s. Times 3s is 45m.

Therefore, as you suspected, 3s is enough time for the ball to go up and down about 12m.

So, now I am confused again. If I wanted to find out how fast the baseball is going just _before_ it hits the ground, it can be calculated by now using the vf = vi + aΔt, but the t is for the entire flight (from 1.1 m up to 12 meters, then down to 0 meters ground), not just the time to fall from a height of 12 m.
So, I use vf2 - vi2 = 2a(Δs): vf2 = 0 m/s + 2(-9.8)(12m) = 15.336 or 15 m/s
But what if I wanted to find how long it took the ball to fall downward only from the height of 12 m (and not just the entire parabolic flight path up and down):
Can I then use vf = vi + aΔt, with vf = 15.336 m/s and vi = 0 m/s and then solve for Δt? To get Δt = 1.56 s.

grooveactiva said:
So, now I am confused again. If I wanted to find out how fast the baseball is going just _before_ it hits the ground, it can be calculated by now using the vf = vi + aΔt, but the t is for the entire flight (from 1.1 m up to 12 meters, then down to 0 meters ground), not just the time to fall from a height of 12 m.
So, I use vf2 - vi2 = 2a(Δs): vf2 = 0 m/s + 2(-9.8)(12m) = 15.336 or 15 m/s
But what if I wanted to find how long it took the ball to fall downward only from the height of 12 m (and not just the entire parabolic flight path up and down):
Can I then use vf = vi + aΔt, with vf = 15.336 m/s and vi = 0 m/s and then solve for Δt? To get Δt = 1.56 s.

That all looks about right.

1. What is kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It deals with concepts such as position, velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

2. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics focuses on describing the motion of objects, while dynamics deals with the forces that cause the motion. Kinematics is concerned with the "what" of motion, while dynamics is concerned with the "why."

3. What are the three main equations of kinematics?

The three main equations of kinematics are:

• Position equation: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity equation: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration equation: v2 = v02 + 2a(x-x0)

4. How do you solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you first need to identify the given information and the unknown variable. Then, you can use the three main equations of kinematics to set up and solve the problem. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct equation based on the given information.

5. Can kinematics be used to describe all types of motion?

No, kinematics can only be used to describe motion in a straight line or in a curved path with a constant acceleration. It cannot be used for motion involving changing acceleration or circular motion.