Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Linear Regression Problem

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I've got what should be a very easy simple linear regression problem, but I can't seem to be able to get my head around it. Here it is:

So far I've been trying to sub these values into a regression equation like this one:
    Y = 5B + (-0.003)B^2
    Where "B" is my Beta1 value. I differentiate this then set it equal to zero to find a max value - this comes out to be 833.333, which is a non-sensical value (intuitively, I think the value should be approx 50, but definetly no where near 833). I can't see what I'm doing wrong and my notes on this aren't very good, so any help you can give me is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2

ssd

What you have done appears to be correct. Please check the question again.

4. Feb 15, 2007 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you think that? Old farts don't get pay cuts. They get canned or puny little pay raises that fail to meet the inflation rate. If they are canned, they have no wage, so I would assume that they are out of the picture. If they get a pay raise that is below the increase in the cost of living, its still a pay raise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?