Simple loop and magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field at various points around a regular 6-sided polygon through which a steady current is flowing. The Biot-Savart law is used to calculate the field at the center and one of the vertices, and a similar problem in Griffiths is referenced. The field at the vertex is not 0, as the contributions from the other wire segments must also be considered. At a great distance, the field decreases according to the inverse square law.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I have a regular 6 sided polygon shaped loop through which flows steady current. I have to find the field at the center, at one of the vertex of the polygon and at the great distance from the loop.

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart law:

[tex]\vec{B}=\frac{1}{c}I\int\frac{d\vec{\ell}'\times\hat{r}}{r^2}[/tex]

in CGS units.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the field at the center, there is a similar problem in Griffiths. And I got:

[tex]B=\frac{6 I}{c a}[/tex] where a is the length of a side of a polygon. Because the field for a wire is:

[tex]B=\frac{I}{cs}(\sin\theta_2-\sin\theta_1)[/tex], s=a and [tex]\theta_2=-\theta_1=\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]. And I multiply by 6 because I have 6 sides.

Now I am not sure if this next part is correct and I need some help with it:

At the vertex the field will be 0? Am I correct? Because the element of the wire is in the same direction as the vector from the source (the wire) to the point in which I'm looking at the field (the vertex).

The last part is the confusing one. Now I read that B-S law is sth like Coulomb law, but for currents and magnetostatics, that is it's inverse square law. That means that it falls as I'm getting away from the source.

When I had, in electrostatics, case with uniformly charged sphere when at great distance I'd get the field that is the same as the field for the single point charge.

But what do I get for this? Since it's closed loop, I certainly can't get the answer for infinite wire. Do I get the field of a magnetic field of a circular loop?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part, I didn't look over it exactly but the method sounds alright. At a vertex, 0 doesn't sound quite right. If you sum up all of the contributions from the different wires you get something into the page. At a great distance, well you have an inverse square relation. What is [tex]$\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{C}{x^2}$[/tex] for any constant C?

Well it's zero, which I though at first, but wasn't really sure.

And for the vertex one I looked only at one vertex and from only one point, so that might be wrong...

Yes, the field is 0 very far away.

If you look at the vertex, try considering the effect of each wire segment to the magnetic field to that point. The two segments attached to the vertex won't contribute (if I'm not mistaken), but all of the other segments will.

Thanks about this far away part :) I'll try to work that other thing out ^^

1. What is a simple loop in relation to magnetism?

A simple loop refers to a closed, conducting wire that is shaped in the form of a loop. It is commonly used in experiments and models to demonstrate the principles of magnetism and electromagnetism.

2. How does a simple loop interact with a magnetic field?

When a simple loop is placed in a magnetic field, the electrons in the loop experience a force due to their motion in the field. This results in a current flowing through the loop, creating a magnetic field of its own that interacts with the external magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of the current induced in a simple loop by a magnetic field?

The direction of the current induced in a simple loop by a magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand is pointed in the direction of the magnetic field, the fingers will curl in the direction of the induced current.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the current induced in a simple loop?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the magnitude of the current induced in a simple loop. A stronger magnetic field will result in a larger current, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a smaller current.

5. What factors can affect the behavior of a simple loop in a magnetic field?

The behavior of a simple loop in a magnetic field can be affected by various factors, such as the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, and the material the loop is made of. Additionally, the presence of other objects or sources of electromagnetic interference can also impact the behavior of the loop.