1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Mechanical Design Program? (free?)

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm designing a product using very very simple springs and gears and was wondering if there was a good software that can help test designs, preferably an inexpensive program.

The design itself is very simple, and I don't need full blown CAD or anything that stout just yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    Nevermind - I just drew it by hand - design is simple enough to test with prototypes.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Years and years ago (about a decade), I took mechanical drafting in high school (complete with old-skool(TM) drafting machines, exhortations to rotate the lead to maintain constant line thickness, and erasing shields).

To this day, I draw (admittedly simple) one-off mechanical / prototype drawings with H or 2H lead and dimensioning, and then just photocopy the drawing to give to the machine shop (which conveniently eliminates the gridding, increases the contrast, and prevents smudging / destruction of original).

Nice skill to have when you need something quick and dirty, and good way to work on the mental imaging / visualization abilities.

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Yeah, I like to draw, and the concept I'm working on is super simple. I need to go read up on motor sizes, battery capacity, etc., now!

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5
    You might want to check Solid Edge for a Free 2D CAD program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook