Simple Modules and quotients of maximal modules, Bland Ex 13

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Modules
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
3,920
Reaction score
48
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Chapter 1, Section 1.4 Modules ... ...

I need help with the proving a statement Bland makes in Example 13 ... ...

Example 13 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=163dad38af054a70ffbbb915d74f3af9.png

In the above text from Bland, we read the following:

" ... If ##N## is a maximal submodule of ##M##, then it follows that ##M/N## is a simple ##R##-module ... ... "I do not understand why this is true ... can anyone help with a formal proof of this statement ...
Hope someone can help ...

Peter
 
Attachments
  • Bland - Example 13 - Page 30, Ch. 1 ... ....png
    Bland - Example 13 - Page 30, Ch. 1 ... ....png
    14.7 KB · Views: 668
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the submodules of ##M/N\,##? And what is the zero element in this factor module?
 
fresh_42 said:
What are the submodules of ##M/N\,##? And what is the zero element in this factor module?
Hi fresh_42 ...

I cannot answer you with confidence ... which is probably why I do not follow Bland Example 13 ... but ...

The elements of ##M/N## are the cosets ##\{ x + N \}_{ x \in M }## where ##x + N = \{ x + n \ | \ n \in N \}## ... ...

... BUT? ... what are the submodules of ##M/N## ... I am unsure ...

Zero element would be ##N = \{ 0 + N \}## ...

Can you help further ... ?

Peter
 
Math Amateur said:
Hi fresh_42 ...

I cannot answer you with confidence ... which is probably why I do not follow Bland Example 13 ... but ...

The elements of ##M/N## are the cosets ##\{ x + N \}_{ x \in M }## where ##x + N = \{ x + n \ | \ n \in N \}## ... ...

... BUT? ... what are the submodules of ##M/N## ... I am unsure ...

Zero element would be ##N = \{ 0 + N \}## ...

Can you help further ... ?

Peter
Yes, exactly. But zero is in any submodule. So a submodule of ##M/N## as a set ##S := \{x + N \,\vert \, x \in \textrm{ something }\}## has to contain ##N##. Now ##N \subseteq S \subseteq M## is maximal, so ##S## is either equal to ##M## or equal to ##N##. But this means ##S/N = M/N## or ##S/N=N/N=\{0\}## which is the definition of a simple module: ##M/N## has no proper submodules ##S/N##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Math Amateur