Simple Modules and Maximal Right Ideals .... Bland, Proposition 6.1.7 ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary: So the proof is that if $S$ is a simple $R$-module, then $R/\mathfrak{m}$ is simple, and by construction $S$ is simple.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 6.1 The Jacobson Radical ... ...

I need help with the proof of Proposition 6.1.7 ... Proposition 6.1.7 and its proof read as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6388
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6389In the above text from Bland, in the proof of (1) we read the following:

" ... ... Since \(\displaystyle S\) is a simple \(\displaystyle R\)-module if and only if there is a maximal ideal \(\displaystyle \mathfrak{m}\) of \(\displaystyle R\) such that \(\displaystyle R / \mathfrak{m} \cong S\) ... ... "I do not follow exactly why the above statement is true ...

Can someone help me to see why and how, exactly, the above statement is true ...
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 6.1 The Jacobson Radical ... ...

I need help with the proof of Proposition 6.1.7 ... Proposition 6.1.7 and its proof read as follows:
In the above text from Bland, in the proof of (1) we read the following:

" ... ... Since \(\displaystyle S\) is a simple \(\displaystyle R\)-module if and only if there is a maximal ideal \(\displaystyle \mathfrak{m}\) of \(\displaystyle R\) such that \(\displaystyle R / \mathfrak{m} \cong S\) ... ... "I do not follow exactly why the above statement is true ...

Can someone help me to see why and how, exactly, the above statement is true ...

Peter

Just trying to clarify a few things regarding my question ...

We have from a previous post on which I received help ... ... that if \(\displaystyle \mathfrak{m}\) is a maximal submodule of a module \(\displaystyle M\) then \(\displaystyle M / \mathfrak{m}\) is a simple module ... ... BUT ... ... we can view a maximal right ideal as a maximal submodule of a ring \(\displaystyle R\) viewed as a right module over itself ... thus \(\displaystyle \mathfrak{m}\) is a maximal right ideal then \(\displaystyle R / \mathfrak{m}\) is a simple module ... is that correct?

Not sure how to piece together the rest of the proof of the statement above ... but we know that a maximal right ideal exists in \(\displaystyle R\) because of Bland's Corollary 1.2.4 which states that every ring \(\displaystyle R\) has at least one maximal right idea (maximal left ideal, maximal ideal).

A lingering question for me is ... why does Bland bother with \(\displaystyle S\) in the above proof ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

Suppose $S$ is a simple $R$-module. To avoid trivialities we assume $S$ is nonzero. Let $x$ be a nonzero element of $S$. The module $Rx = S$ by simplicity of $S$. The $R$-mapping $R \to S$ given by $r \mapsto rx$ is surjective with kernel $\operatorname{Ann}(x)$, so by the first isomorphism theorem, $R/\operatorname{Ann}(x) \approx S$.

Now it suffices to prove that $\mathfrak{m}:=\operatorname{Ann}(x)$ is a maximal ideal of $R$. Since $x \neq 0$, $1\notin \mathfrak{m}.$ Let $J$ be an ideal of $R$ such that $\mathfrak{m}\subset J \subsetneq R$. It must be shown that $J = \mathfrak{m}$. Let $r\in J$. If $r\notin \mathfrak{m}$, then $rx \neq 0$, whence $R(rx) = S$ by simplicity of $S$. Since $x\in S$, then $R(rx) = S$ implies $r'(rx) = x$ for some $r'\in R.$ Hence, $(1 - r'r)x = 0$, i.e., $1 - r'r\in \mathfrak{m}$. So $1 - r'r\in J$, and as $r\in J$, then $r'r\in J$. Closure under addition in $J$ yields $1\in J$, contradicting the assumption that $J\subsetneq R$. This proves $J = \mathfrak{m}$ and $\mathfrak{m}$ is maximal.

Conversely, suppose such a maximal ideal $\mathfrak{m}$ exists. Then $R/\mathfrak{m}$ is a field, so it is a simple $R$-module. Since $S$ is isomorphic to the simple $R$-module $R/\mathfrak{m}$, then $S$ is simple.

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

Suppose $S$ is a simple $R$-module. To avoid trivialities we assume $S$ is nonzero. Let $x$ be a nonzero element of $S$. The module $Rx = S$ by simplicity of $S$. The $R$-mapping $R \to S$ given by $r \mapsto rx$ is surjective with kernel $\operatorname{Ann}(x)$, so by the first isomorphism theorem, $R/\operatorname{Ann}(x) \approx S$.

Now it suffices to prove that $\mathfrak{m}:=\operatorname{Ann}(x)$ is a maximal ideal of $R$. Since $x \neq 0$, $1\notin \mathfrak{m}.$ Let $J$ be an ideal of $R$ such that $\mathfrak{m}\subset J \subsetneq R$. It must be shown that $J = \mathfrak{m}$. Let $r\in J$. If $r\notin \mathfrak{m}$, then $rx \neq 0$, whence $R(rx) = S$ by simplicity of $S$. Since $x\in S$, then $R(rx) = S$ implies $r'(rx) = x$ for some $r'\in R.$ Hence, $(1 - r'r)x = 0$, i.e., $1 - r'r\in \mathfrak{m}$. So $1 - r'r\in J$, and as $r\in J$, then $r'r\in J$. Closure under addition in $J$ yields $1\in J$, contradicting the assumption that $J\subsetneq R$. This proves $J = \mathfrak{m}$ and $\mathfrak{m}$ is maximal.

Conversely, suppose such a maximal ideal $\mathfrak{m}$ exists. Then $R/\mathfrak{m}$ is a field, so it is a simple $R$-module. Since $S$ is isomorphic to the simple $R$-module $R/\mathfrak{m}$, then $S$ is simple.

Thanks for the help Euge ... much appreciated ...

But ... need a clarification ...

You write:

" ... ... Now it suffices to prove that $\mathfrak{m}:=\operatorname{Ann}(x)$ is a maximal ideal of $R$. Since $x \neq 0$, $1\notin \mathfrak{m}$ ... ... "

Can you explain why if $x \neq 0$ then we have that $1\notin \mathfrak{m}$ ...Hope you can help with this point ...

Peter

It's because $1x = x$.

Euge said:
It's because $1x = x$.
oh! of course ...

... thanks Euge

Peter

Euge said:
Conversely, suppose such a maximal ideal $\mathfrak{m}$ exists. Then $R/\mathfrak{m}$ is a field, so it is a simple $R$-module.

This is not true for noncommutative rings, see Rotman -Advanced Modern Algebra, part 1, 3rd edition 2017, page 280. To prove this statement, you need the Correspondence Theorem for Rings / Modules.

Last edited:
steenis said:
This is not true for noncommutative rings, see Rotman -Advanced Modern Algebra, part 1, 3rd edition 2017, page 280. To prove this statement, you need the Correspondence Theorem for Rings.

An old post, but I was only referring to commutative rings, not noncommutative rings.

Ok, but Peter was referring to right $R$-modules over a ring $R$, not necessarily commutatutive.

What is a simple module?

A simple module is a module that has no proper submodules. In other words, it cannot be divided into smaller modules.

What is a maximal right ideal?

A maximal right ideal is a right ideal in a ring that is not contained in any other proper right ideal. In other words, it cannot be extended any further without becoming the entire ring.

What is Bland, Proposition 6.1.7?

Bland, Proposition 6.1.7 is a proposition in the field of abstract algebra that states that every maximal right ideal in a ring is a simple right module.

How is Bland, Proposition 6.1.7 useful?

Bland, Proposition 6.1.7 is useful because it helps to simplify and clarify the structure of rings and modules, making it easier to understand and manipulate them in further mathematical analysis.

Can Bland, Proposition 6.1.7 be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, Bland, Proposition 6.1.7 can be generalized to other algebraic structures, such as group rings, division rings, and algebras, where it still holds true that every maximal right ideal is a simple module.