1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Motor Project Solution Needed.

1. Jun 1, 2016 #1
    Hi, so in class we are suppose to make a motor kinda like the one in this video with copper wire.

That part shouldn't be hard but I also need to make it move something (like a coin), I'm not really to sure how to make that happen. Does anyone have any insight on how I can get the rotational motion of the coil to move something?

I was thinking about adding a wheel to one of the open ends of the wire and attaching string and a coin to it so when it moves with the motor it lures the coin in like a fishing rod, but I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, any idea?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. c :

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Yes thats one way to do it converting the spinning motion into a pulling motion.

Another idea would be a wheel with a straw attached via one nail so as the wheel spins the straw moves back and forth like a piston so you could push the coin.

4. Jun 2, 2016 #3
    I can't really visualize what you mean, mind rephrasing it for me please.

5. Jun 2, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Like this arrangement:
    crankslider.gif

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted