Simple Number Theory Proof, Again

The idea of the problem is to show that every square of an integer has the form 4k or 4k+1, so you can divide by 4 and get an integer k or k+1. That is really all there is to the problem.
nastygoalie89
Alright, having problems with this question too. It seems to be the same type of number theory problem, which is the problem.

Homework Statement

Prove "The square of any integer has the form 4k or 4k+1 for some integer k.

Homework Equations

definition of even= 2k
definition of odd= 2k+1

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I have: Case 1. 2k(2k) = 4k
Case 2. 2k+1(2k+1) = 4k2+4k+1 = 4k+1(k+1)

Not sure if it's correct. Do I need to use different indices? I feel I am missing something. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
nastygoalie89 said:
Alright, having problems with this question too. It seems to be the same type of number theory problem, which is the problem.

Homework Statement

Prove "The square of any integer has the form 4k or 4k+1 for some integer k.

Homework Equations

definition of even= 2k
definition of odd= 2k+1

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I have: Case 1. 2k(2k) = 4k
Case 2. 2k+1(2k+1) = 4k2+4k+1 = 4k+1(k+1)

Not sure if it's correct. Do I need to use different indices? I feel I am missing something. Thanks for any help!
For case 1, (2k)(2k) != 4k
For case 2, you need parentheses.
(2k + 1)(2k + 1) = 4k2 + 4k + 1 != 4k + 1(k + 1)

Your last expression above is equal to 5k + 1, which is different from (2k + 1)(2k + 1).

You've expanded it yet you factorised it? it will be taking you back to what you got initially. you should have changed your [tex]4m^{2}+4m+1[/tex] into [tex]4(m^{2}+m)+1[/tex] and explain that it is similar to the form 4k+1 .

Even though this is my first post on Physics Forums and this was done a year ago, I'm going to tell everyone you've made it way too complicated. I'm a pretty new mathematician, and I feel this isn't in the spirit of a proof, but it still works.

Take the case n^2.
if n==0 (mod 4), n^2 will also be congruent to 0 modulo 4. Check.
if n==1, 1^2 will also be congruent to 1 modulo 4. Check.
if n==2, 2^2=4 and 4 modulo 4 == 0. Check.
if n==3, 3^3=9, 9==1 modulo 4. Check.

That's all the cases.

The only difference is that you have "hidden" the complications under the name "mod". That's fine if the person knows about modular arithmetic but the proof originally given is much simpler in that it does not use modular aritymetic.

1. What is Simple Number Theory?

Simple Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of integers, or whole numbers. It focuses on studying the patterns and structures of numbers, as well as solving problems related to them.

2. What is a Number Theory Proof?

A Number Theory Proof is a logical and step-by-step explanation that demonstrates the truth of a mathematical statement or theorem in Number Theory. It uses mathematical tools and techniques to show that a statement or theorem is always true, regardless of the values of the numbers involved.

3. Why is Simple Number Theory important?

Simple Number Theory is important because it has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and engineering. It also helps us understand the fundamental properties and relationships of numbers, which is essential in building a strong foundation in mathematics.

4. What is an example of a Simple Number Theory Proof?

An example of a Simple Number Theory Proof is the proof of the Euclidean Algorithm, which is used to find the greatest common divisor of two numbers. The proof shows that the algorithm will always terminate and give the correct answer, regardless of the starting numbers.

5. How can I improve my skills in Simple Number Theory Proof?

To improve your skills in Simple Number Theory Proof, practice solving problems and proofs regularly. Familiarize yourself with common theorems and techniques, and don't be afraid to challenge yourself with more difficult problems. It can also be helpful to study and understand the proofs of well-known theorems in Number Theory.