Simple Parallel-Plate Capacitor Question please HeLP

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a simple parallel-plate capacitor, in which two electrodes are spaced 2.85 mm apart and have an electric field strength of 85600000 N/C. The question asks for the charge on each electrode, which can be calculated using the equation Q = E * A * Eo, where E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the electrodes, and Eo is the permittivity of free space. After some initial incorrect calculations, it is determined that the correct charge on each electrode is 408 nC.
BuBbLeS01
Simple Parallel-Plate Capacitor Question...please HeLP!

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor is formed from two 2.32 cm × 2.32 cm electrodes spaced 2.85 mm apart. The electric field strength inside the capacitor is 85600000 N/C. What is the charge (in nC) on each electrode?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

E = Q / Eo * A
A = 0.0232 * 0.0232 = 5.38e^-4
Q = (E * Eo * A) 8 1,000,000,000 = 407.75 nC
What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I divided 407.75 by 2? Since there are 2 electrodes? I don't know what else I could be doing wrong.

Thats not right either...does anyone know where I am going wrong?

you multiplied incorrectly, I guess. plugging into my calculator, I get 407.942041 nC

or, to the right number of sig figs 408 nC

How did you get that?
K = 9 x10^9
Eo = 8.85 x10^-12
A = .0232 *.0232
right?

K? That doesn't come in anywhere... I used E and A and epsilon_0. Just multiply them all together.

I know I put that to see if you were using the same number to get Eo...I am not getting the right answer though

1. What is a parallel-plate capacitor?

A parallel-plate capacitor is a type of electronic component that stores electrical energy by creating an electric field between two conductive plates, separated by a dielectric material. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to store and release energy.

2. How does a parallel-plate capacitor work?

A parallel-plate capacitor works by charging the two plates with opposite charges, creating an electric field between them. The strength of the electric field is determined by the distance between the plates and the amount of charge on each plate.

3. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor is C = ε₀A/d, where C is the capacitance, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the capacitance decreases and vice versa.

5. Can a parallel-plate capacitor store an infinite amount of charge?

No, a parallel-plate capacitor has a maximum capacitance that it can hold, which is determined by the area of the plates and the distance between them. If the capacitor is charged with too much charge, it can result in breakdown and damage to the capacitor.