Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple partial derivative question

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    Hello, just a quick question about interpreting the partial derivative as a rate of change.

My example is the area of a parallelogram: A = absinθ, with a and b being the adjecent sides with θ being the angle between them.

We found the rate of change of the area A with respect to the side a by holding b and θ constant:

(for a = 10, b = 20, θ = ∏/6)

∂A/∂a = bsinθ

∂A/∂a = 20sin(∏/6) = 10.

Does this mean for every unit increment of a, A increases 10 times that, ie. increasing a by 2 increases A by 20?

Thanks for reading.

Lee

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can check this with the example in the OP. If a = 11, b = 20 and theta = pi/6, what is the area of your P-gram?

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here, your original function, [itex]A= ab sin(\theta)[/itex], is linear in both variables so, yes, you can think of the partial derivative as a "slope"- if a or b doubles, A also doubles.

If it were not linear, that would not be true. Take the example of a rectanguar solid with square cross sections- two perpendicular edges of length x and the third of length y. The volume is [itex]V= x^2y[/itex] so the two partial derivatives are [itex]V_x= 2xy[/itex] and [itex]V_y= 2x^2[/itex]. If x= 2, y= 2 then V=(4)(2)= 8. If x= 2, y= 4 (so x remains the same while y doubles), V= (4)(4)= 16. Yes, the volume has doubled. But if x= 4, y= 2 (so y remains the same while x doubles), V= (16)(2)= 32. The volume has been multiplied by [itex]2^2= 4[/itex].

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the replies.... can't believe I didn't think to just plug in some numbers and see it for myself.

Lee

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook