Simple pendulum, ref: POTW 156

In summary, the problem is for a pendulum with the condition that the angle between the pendulum's swing and the ground is constant. To find the pendulum's equilibrium position, you integrate the equation of motion. The elliptic equation of motion makes the solution difficult to find, but a method similar to the work-energy method can be used.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
I was waiting for the http://mathhelpboards.com/potw-university-students-34/problem-week-156-march-23-2015-a-14734.html for University students solution to be posted before I asked this question. I ran across this problem as I was trying to solve the problem and I got stuck rather quickly.

The problem is for a simple pendulum of length L and mass m with the conditions \(\displaystyle \theta (0) = \theta _0\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{d \theta }{dt}(0) = 0\).

Skipping the derivation we get, for the equation of motion:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2 \theta }{dt^2} + b~sin(\theta) = 0\).

(b = g/L if you are interested.)

Let's integrate this equation over t, and do some simplifying:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d \theta}{dt} + \int _0^t b~sin(\theta) ~ dt = C\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d \theta}{dt} + b \int _0^t sin(\theta) \left ( \frac{dt}{d \theta} \right ) d \theta = C\)

Using the inverse function theorem:
\(\displaystyle \left ( \frac{dt}{d \theta} \right )^{-1} + b \int _{\theta _0}^{\theta} sin(\theta) \left ( \frac{dt}{d \theta} \right ) d \theta = C\)

I can't get it through my head how to deal with this. The solution deals somehow with elliptic functions but I can't find a way to get it into that form. Any hints would be appreciated.

-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
topsquark said:
I was waiting for the http://mathhelpboards.com/potw-university-students-34/problem-week-156-march-23-2015-a-14734.html for University students solution to be posted before I asked this question. I ran across this problem as I was trying to solve the problem and I got stuck rather quickly.

The problem is for a simple pendulum of length L and mass m with the conditions \(\displaystyle \theta (0) = \theta _0\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{d \theta }{dt}(0) = 0\).

Skipping the derivation we get, for the equation of motion:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2 \theta }{dt^2} + b~sin(\theta) = 0\).

(b = g/L if you are interested.)

Let's integrate this equation over t, and do some simplifying:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d \theta}{dt} + \int _0^t b~sin(\theta) ~ dt = C\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d \theta}{dt} + b \int _0^t sin(\theta) \left ( \frac{dt}{d \theta} \right ) d \theta = C\)

Using the inverse function theorem:
\(\displaystyle \left ( \frac{dt}{d \theta} \right )^{-1} + b \int _{\theta _0}^{\theta} sin(\theta) \left ( \frac{dt}{d \theta} \right ) d \theta = C\)

I can't get it through my head how to deal with this. The solution deals somehow with elliptic functions but I can't find a way to get it into that form. Any hints would be appreciated.

-Dan

The second order ODE is of the type...

$\displaystyle \theta^{\ ''} = f(\theta)\ (1)$

... and the standard solving procedure consists in writing (1) in the form...

$\displaystyle \theta^{\ '}\ \frac{d \theta^{\ '}}{d \theta} = f(\theta)\ (2)$

... that is a first order separate variables ODE. Integrating YTou obtain...

$\displaystyle \frac{\theta^{\ '\ 2}}{2} = \int f(\theta)\ d \theta + c_{1}\ (3)$

... so that for $\displaystyle f(\theta) = - b\ \sin \theta$ You obtain...

$\displaystyle \theta^{\ '} = \pm \sqrt {2\ b\ \cos \theta + c_{1}}\ (4)$

Now You have another first order separate variables ODE the solution of which is given by...

$\displaystyle t = \pm \int \frac{d \theta}{\sqrt{2\ b\ \cos \theta + c_{1}}} + c_{2}\ (5)$

The problem now is that the integral in (5) is elliptic, i.e. a non elementary integral...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The second order ODE is of the type...

$\displaystyle \theta^{\ ''} = f(\theta)\ (1)$

... and the standard solving procedure consists in writing (1) in the form...

$\displaystyle \theta^{\ '}\ \frac{d \theta^{\ '}}{d \theta} = f(\theta)\ (2)$

... that is a first order separate variables ODE. Integrating YTou obtain...

$\displaystyle \frac{\theta^{\ '\ 2}}{2} = \int f(\theta)\ d \theta + c_{1}\ (3)$

... so that for $\displaystyle f(\theta) = - b\ \sin \theta$ You obtain...

$\displaystyle \theta^{\ '} = \pm \sqrt {2\ b\ \cos \theta + c_{1}}\ (4)$

Now You have another first order separate variables ODE the solution of which is given by...

$\displaystyle t = \pm \int \frac{d \theta}{\sqrt{2\ b\ \cos \theta + c_{1}}} + c_{2}\ (5)$

The problem now is that the integral in (5) is elliptic, i.e. a non elementary integral...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Coooooooooooooooooooool! I've never sen the method presented before but I've used it a zillion times. That would be the Mathematical version of the work-energy method that I used in the POTW.

As always, sir \(\displaystyle \chi \sigma\), (Bow)

-Dan

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a basic physics device that consists of a weight attached to a string or rod, which is suspended from a fixed point. The weight swings back and forth in a regular motion due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the period of a simple pendulum calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period (time for one complete swing), L is the length of the string or rod, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s^2).

3. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the weight, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the period, but they are usually negligible.

4. How does the angle of release affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The angle of release does not affect the period of a simple pendulum as long as the amplitude of the swing is kept small (less than 15 degrees). This is because the motion of a simple pendulum is governed by the length of the string or rod, not the angle of release.

5. What are some real-life applications of simple pendulums?

Simple pendulums have many real-life applications, such as in clocks, metronomes, and seismometers. They are also used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of periodic motion and to measure the acceleration due to gravity in different locations.