Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Simple physical example for addition of angular momentum?

1. Sep 15, 2016 #1
    I've been asked to replace a professor for a couple of classes in an undergraduate quantum mechanic course.

I have to present some topics on angular momentum, including the addition of angular momentum.

I have no problem with the general theory and can present it just fine. But I would like to give an example where the addition of angular momentum is needed. And I would like a small but physical example where the addition of angular momentum is relevant.

The most standard example, the hyperfine splitting in hydrogen, is too long for me to present in a couple of short lectures.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

How about biking through a curve? Or is that too simple?

4. Sep 15, 2016 #3

Nugatory

How about adding the spin angular momentum of two spin-1/2 particles to yield either the singlet or the the three triplet states? It's about the simplest possible case, yet is startlingly different from classical angular momentum addition.

5. Sep 15, 2016 #4
    Well, yes of course. I meant, examples After the triplet and singlet thing is done.

6. Sep 15, 2016 #5

Nugatory

I thought it was too easy :smile:

7. Sep 18, 2016 #6
    I guess there is no simple/easy to show physical example of the kind I'm looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted