Simple physical example for addition of angular momentum?

In summary: I thought it was too easy :smile:I guess there is no simple/easy to show physical example of the kind I'm looking for.
andresB
I've been asked to replace a professor for a couple of classes in an undergraduate quantum mechanic course.

I have to present some topics on angular momentum, including the addition of angular momentum.

I have no problem with the general theory and can present it just fine. But I would like to give an example where the addition of angular momentum is needed. And I would like a small but physical example where the addition of angular momentum is relevant.

The most standard example, the hyperfine splitting in hydrogen, is too long for me to present in a couple of short lectures.

Physics news on Phys.org
andresB said:
I've been asked to replace a professor for a couple of classes in an undergraduate quantum mechanic course.

I have to present some topics on angular momentum, including the addition of angular momentum.

I have no problem with the general theory and can present it just fine. But I would like to give an example where the addition of angular momentum is needed. And I would like a small but physical example where the addition of angular momentum is relevant.

The most standard example, the hyperfine splitting in hydrogen, is too long for me to present in a couple of short lectures.
How about biking through a curve? Or is that too simple?

andresB said:
I would like to give an example where the addition of angular momentum is needed. And I would like a small but physical example where the addition of angular momentum is relevant.

How about adding the spin angular momentum of two spin-1/2 particles to yield either the singlet or the the three triplet states? It's about the simplest possible case, yet is startlingly different from classical angular momentum addition.

Likes vanhees71
Nugatory said:
How about adding the spin angular momentum of two spin-1/2 particles to yield either the singlet or the the three triplet states? It's about the simplest possible case, yet is startlingly different from classical angular momentum addition.

Well, yes of course. I meant, examples After the triplet and singlet thing is done.

andresB said:
Well, yes of course. I meant, examples After the triplet and singlet thing is done.
I thought it was too easy :smile:

I guess there is no simple/easy to show physical example of the kind I'm looking for.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotation of an object around an axis. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. Can you give a simple example of addition of angular momentum?

A simple example of addition of angular momentum is a figure skater performing a spin on ice. As the skater pulls their arms closer to their body, their moment of inertia decreases, causing their angular velocity to increase and their angular momentum to remain constant.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

4. What are the units of angular momentum?

The standard unit of angular momentum is kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m²/s), but it can also be expressed in other units such as Joule seconds (J·s) or Newton meters per second (N·m/s).

5. Why is angular momentum an important concept in physics?

Angular momentum is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the motion of rotating objects and systems. It is used in many fields of study, including mechanics, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics, and has many practical applications in areas such as engineering and technology.