Simple Probability: Understanding Odds of Picking Green Marbles from Bags

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Paddy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Paddy
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
I know this might be really simple, but I get easily confused.

CASE 1.

I have a bag with eight marbles, one of them is green and the remaining seven are red.

If you have to pick a random marble without looking, there is one in eight chances (12.5%) of lifting the green one.

Is this correct?

CASE 2.

I have three identical bags (like the one in case 1).

What are the chances of picking the three green ones? 3 in 24? (25%) this is how i though it would work out, but logically I predicted that it would have been more difficult to pick the three out of all the 24 (From three different bags), so I thought I was doing something wrong.

All help will be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi There,

In terms of CASE 1:

P(green)=1/8

In Terms of CASE 2:

E1=result of the first bag
E2=result of the second bag
E3=result of the third bag

P(E1nE2nE3)=(1/8)*(1/8)*(1/8)=1/512

This should be correct, hope it helps

regards Steven
 
Last edited:
Thank you! That's what it was!

That does answer my doubt.