(simple Q) Cutting yourself with substances on your skin.

In summary, when washing dishes, the water and soap combine to make the skin softer and more vulnerable to cuts. This is due to the removal of oils that maintain the skin cells and the swelling of the cells when immersed in water. Other substances may also affect the skin's susceptibility to cuts depending on their ability to remove oils and swelling of the skin cells.
Liokh
I am looking for an explanation about a simple physics phenomen.

When washing plates and ustensils, I would manipulate knives and, from times to times, would cut myself a bit. Does it matter if your hands are wet or dry and what does the water do on the surface of the skin that can influence the blade to make or not an incision in your skin.

My remark is that water soften your skin and makes it more fragile therefore it should be easyer to cut it. My hypothesis is that by making it soft, the water protects the skin by filling holes and makes the skin more difficult to be cut since the water molecules will have a tendency to deflect the blade. What's the real explanation of that daily experience ? What changes with other substances ? Which makes it easyer or thougher to cut ?

P.S: Sorry if this is posted on the wrong forum

Biology news on Phys.org
What makes you think that water molecules will deflect the blade?

something that is more dense will generaly be harder to cut(i think), but if the water reduces the structure in our skin, then it might make it easier. like diamonds are very dense with C, but also have a very strong structure.

Liokh said:
I am looking for an explanation about a simple physics phenomen.

When washing plates and ustensils, I would manipulate knives and, from times to times, would cut myself a bit. Does it matter if your hands are wet or dry and what does the water do on the surface of the skin that can influence the blade to make or not an incision in your skin.

My remark is that water soften your skin and makes it more fragile therefore it should be easyer to cut it. My hypothesis is that by making it soft, the water protects the skin by filling holes and makes the skin more difficult to be cut since the water molecules will have a tendency to deflect the blade. What's the real explanation of that daily experience ? What changes with other substances ? Which makes it easyer or thougher to cut ?

P.S: Sorry if this is posted on the wrong forum

The surface of our skin is composed of 15 to 30 layers of Keratinized cells. Basically a layer of dead cells filled with keratin. The maintenance of this layer depends on oils secreted from the sebaceous gland. When you are washing dishes you are using an emulsifier (soap) which washes away the oil on your skin. Another Factor to consider is that skin is water resistant, not water proof. So when you immerse your skin in fresh water, eventually osmotic forces may cause water to move into the epidermis(skin), which makes the cells get inflated like ballons. Since the cells are swollen, the membranes of the cells are not as flexible and are more likely to burst if pressure is applied to the membrane. So I am assuming skin is more susceptible to mechanical damage (cuts by knives) when immersed in water. When you add soap into the picture, I think skin would be even more susceptible to mechanical damage, since your washing off the oils, which maintain the skin cells.

1. How does cutting yourself with substances on your skin affect your body?

Cutting yourself with substances on your skin can have various effects on your body depending on the type of substance used. Some substances, such as acidic or toxic chemicals, can cause irritation, burns, and even permanent damage to your skin. Other substances, like sharp objects, can cause cuts and wounds that may lead to infections if not properly treated.

2. What are the most common substances used for cutting on skin?

The most common substances used for cutting on skin include knives, razor blades, glass, and other sharp objects. Some individuals may also use acidic or toxic chemicals, such as bleach or drain cleaner, for cutting on their skin.

3. What are the psychological reasons behind cutting oneself with substances on the skin?

Cutting oneself with substances on the skin is often a form of self-harm, which can be linked to various psychological reasons such as trauma, emotional distress, or mental health disorders like depression or anxiety. It can also be a coping mechanism for individuals who are struggling with overwhelming emotions.

4. How can cutting yourself with substances on the skin be treated?

Treatment for cutting oneself with substances on the skin may include therapy, medication, and support groups. It is important to seek professional help to address the underlying psychological issues and learn healthy coping mechanisms. Wounds and injuries from cutting should also be properly cleaned and treated to prevent infections.

5. Is cutting yourself with substances on the skin a sign of suicidal intent?

While self-harm and suicidal intent can be related, cutting oneself with substances on the skin does not necessarily indicate a desire to end one's life. However, it is important to seek help and support if you or someone you know is engaging in self-harm, as it can be a sign of underlying mental health issues that need to be addressed.