Does moisture increase friction on skin?

In summary, this article discusses how to open a plastic bag that has been rolled up, by rubbing the bag between the fingers and then wetting the fingers. This works best when the fingers are wet, due to the increased friction.
RPinPA
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This may be one of those things that everybody knew but me (come to think of it, I think I'll add it to the "things I learned today" thread elsewhere).

There are some plastic bags I use which come on a roll. I have been struggling to open them when I remove a bag from the roll, rubbing different portions of them between my fingers for sometimes minutes at a time. My wife saw my struggles and informed me that wetting the fingertips often worked. She then, to my chagrin, demonstrated, opening the bag within seconds. I've repeated the experiment several times and it works every time.

When you rub your fingers on opposite sides of the bag, what you're trying to do is get the two surfaces to move against each other. That means that you need the friction between fingertip and plastic bag to be greater than the plastic-plastic friction. With dry fingers, apparently it is not and the fingers are sliding more than the plastic is. But with wet fingers, the fingertip friction increases and voila!

This simple fact is what is puzzling me. How is moisture increasing friction? I would expect the opposite, since in most situations we encounter, water makes things more slippery. I hypothesize that it has to do with the fact that skin is normally oily, so perhaps the presence of a water layer adds just enough adhesion to whatever the bag is made of (it's recycled plastic, I don't know what type) to do the trick. Thus, I'm guessing this is a chemistry question and posting it in the chemistry forum.

And thus the trick shouldn't work with a non-oily surface, say rubbing between two pieces of aluminum foil. I have yet to check that.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
OK, so I guess you're telling me that it has to do with adhesion of the water to the plastic, as I suggested.

But that doesn't seem to me to be the whole story. Why does water make some things MORE slippery then? Why do tires slip on a wet road? Why are my fingers more slippery on a wet glass than a dry one? The article you linked points out that water has a very strong adhesion to glass. So what's the connection between slipperiness and adhesion then?

To review:
- skin on plastic bag, more slippery when dry
- skin on glass, more slippery when wet
- skin on other things... (untested)

When the forces wanting to separate the two adhering surfaces are greater than the adhesive force, they move. You are seeing this phenomena clearly in this case because the plastic you are using is very light, so very small adhesive forces will have more visible effects. If you try another experiment trying to lift a 50# cube of polyethylene, you may have difficulty picking it up at all from the sides with the cube and your hands wet.
RPinPA said:
To review:
- skin on plastic, more slippery when dry
- skin on glass, more slippery when wet

These statements are generalizations that don't have quantitative meanings. Wet (fully soaked) skin on fully wetted smooth solid surfaces is very slick if there is adequate water to keep the two surfaces apart. Think slip'n'slide or a very wet kitchen floor. Conversely, when you apply significant force to dry skin on plastic, there will be significant friction. As your skin heats, it won't feel like it is very slick, and its not.

Some additional reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubricity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribology

1. Does moisture always increase friction on skin?

No, moisture does not always increase friction on skin. The level of friction depends on various factors such as the type of moisture, the surface of the skin, and the force applied.

2. Why does moisture sometimes increase friction on skin?

Moisture can increase friction on skin because it acts as a lubricant, reducing the contact between the skin and the surface. This results in more force being required to overcome the resistance, leading to an increase in friction.

3. Is there a difference in friction between wet and dry skin?

Yes, there is a difference in friction between wet and dry skin. Wet skin has a higher coefficient of friction than dry skin due to the presence of moisture. This means that it requires more force to move wet skin across a surface compared to dry skin.

4. How does the amount of moisture affect friction on skin?

The amount of moisture can affect friction on skin in different ways. For example, a small amount of moisture can reduce friction by acting as a lubricant, but too much moisture can increase friction by creating more resistance.

5. Can moisturizers affect friction on skin?

Yes, moisturizers can affect friction on skin. Some moisturizers contain ingredients that can reduce friction by acting as a lubricant, while others may increase friction if they contain substances that create more resistance on the skin's surface.