Simple Quadratic Factor question

• Thread starter james_rich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the quadratic equation y = -x^2 + 5x + 6 and find the coordinates of the vertex of the curve. The equation is first rewritten by factorizing to y = -(x + 1)(x - 6). By setting y = 0, the solutions for x are found to be -1 and 6. The vertex is then found to be at x = 5/2, using the formula (-1 + 6)/2. By plugging in this value for x, the corresponding value for y is found to be 49/4. The conversation also discusses a possible error in the answer given in a book, and provides a correct solution using
james_rich
okay i need to solve the quadratic y = -x^2 + 5x + 6 and need to find the coordinates of the vertex of the curve

by factorising

y = -(x^2 - 5x - 5)
y = -(x + 1)(x - 6)

so when y = 0, x = -1 and x = 6 (that parts simple)
At the vertex x = (-1 + 6) / 2 = 5/2 (as the curve is symetrical)

so as y = -x^2 + 5x + 6

y = -5/2^2 + 5(-5/2) + 6
y = 25/4 + 50/4 + 24/4
y = 99/4

(this is the answer i got which doesn't look right, and answer book gives a different answer)

can u tell me where i went wrong? thanx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry, this sites changed a bit since i last came on, I've posted it in the wrong section

y = -5/2^2 + 5(-5/2) + 6
y = 25/4 + 50/4 + 24/4
First line should read -(5/2)^2+5(5/2)+6
Second line should read -25/4+50/4+24/4
Result y=49/4
I suggest you carefully check your arithmetic before posting.

thanx i got that answer too, wasn't sure which way to work it out, the negative sign threw me a bit, the book is wrong then as i thought, they have 29/4 for their answer!

thanx for ur help

mathman is right & here's why:
-5/2*5/2=-25/4 because -1*1=-1
5 * 5/2 = 25/2 = 50/4
6 = 24/4
50 + 24 - 25 = 50 - 1 = 49/4
There's your answer

You can also do this by completing the square:
y= -x2+ 5x+ 6= -(x2- 5x)+ 6
= -(x2- 5x+ 25/4- 25/4)+ 6
= -(x- 5/2)2+ 25/4+ 6
= -(x- 5/2)2+ 25/4+ 24/4
= -(x- 5/2)2+ 49/4

The vertex is at (5/2, 49/4).

1. What is a simple quadratic factor?

A simple quadratic factor is a term that can be factored into two linear factors, which are expressions of the form (ax + b) where a and b are constants.

2. How do I solve a simple quadratic factor problem?

To solve a simple quadratic factor problem, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the expression by finding two numbers that multiply to equal the constant term and add to equal the coefficient of the middle term.

3. Can a simple quadratic factor have a negative coefficient?

Yes, a simple quadratic factor can have a negative coefficient. This means that the parabola will open downwards instead of upwards.

4. What is the difference between a simple quadratic factor and a perfect square trinomial?

A simple quadratic factor can be factored into two linear factors, while a perfect square trinomial is an expression that can be factored into two identical binomials.

5. How can I use simple quadratic factors in real life?

Simple quadratic factors are commonly used in physics and engineering to model and solve real-world problems, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or determining the optimal shape for a bridge. They can also be used in financial analysis to model the growth of investments over time.