Simple quastion about superposition

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a unitary evolution from a state composed of two orthogonal states of a system to a different state, as well as the possibility of having initial conditions where the coefficients of the states are nonzero at a later time. The example of neutral meson mixing is mentioned as an example of this type of evolution in particle physics. The conversation also addresses the idea of a "unitary wave-function collapse" and how it would not solve the measurement problem. It is noted that in this scenario, the state |w1> is not alone and the collapse only works at a specific moment in time, not continuously.
maxverywell
Is it possible to have a unitary evolution from ##|\psi_1\rangle\to a |\psi_1\rangle+b |\psi_2\rangle##, where ##|\psi_1\rangle##, ##|\psi_2\rangle## are two orthogonal states of a system?

What if the state of the system is time dependent state of the form ##|\psi (t)\rangle = c_1(t) |\psi_1\rangle+c_2(t) |\psi_2\rangle##. Is it possible to have initial conditions ##c_1 (0)=1## and ##c_2 (0)=0## and at a later time t>0 get ##c_1 (t)\neq0## and ##c_2 (t)\neq0##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let
$$|\psi_1\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ( |1\rangle + |2\rangle ) \\
|\psi_2\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ( |1\rangle - |2\rangle )$$
Where ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle## are energy eigenstates with different energy. Then your evolution happens.

Neutral meson mixing is an example from particle physics, but I'm sure there are similar systems in atomic transitions.

mfb said:
Let
$$|\psi_1\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ( |1\rangle + |2\rangle ) \\
|\psi_2\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ( |1\rangle - |2\rangle )$$
Where ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle## are energy eigenstates with different energy. Then your evolution happens.

Neutral meson mixing is an example from particle physics, but I'm sure there are similar systems in atomic transitions.

Are you saying that ##|\psi_1\rangle \to a|\psi_1\rangle+b|\psi_2\rangle## is possible ?
This means that there is some unitary operator ##U## such that
$$U|\psi_1\rangle = a|\psi_1\rangle+b|\psi_2\rangle$$
And because it's unitary, there is ##U'=U^{\dagger}## such that
$$U' (a|\psi_1\rangle+b|\psi_2\rangle) =|\psi_1\rangle $$
This seems like a "unitary wave-function collapse"

Last edited:
Obviously |w1> to begin with isn't the correct state for the description of a system. Even though we see definite reality, the system is still described by QM which declares it in superposition.

Well, what I am asking is if the evolutions like ##U |\psi_1\rangle = a|\psi_1\rangle+b|\psi_2\rangle## are possible.
For me it seems totally legit since U is simply a rotation in Hilbert space.
It's like in the ordinary vector space where, for example, a rotation matrix ##R(45^{o})## acts on the vector ##\vec{x}=(0,1)## and rotates it to the vector ##\frac{1}{2}\vec{x}+\frac{1}{2}\vec{y}##.
$$R\vec{x}=\frac{1}{2}\vec{x}+\frac{1}{2}\vec{y}$$
$$R^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2}\vec{x}+\frac{1}{2}\vec{y}\right)=\vec{x}$$
Am I right?

My problem then is that a unitary evolution of the form ##U^{\dagger}(a|\psi_1\rangle+b|\psi_2\rangle)=|\psi_1\rangle ## seems like a "unitary wave-function collapse" and would solve the measurement problem.

Last edited:
maxverywell said:
Well, what I am asking is if the evolutions like ##U |\psi_1\rangle = a|\psi_1\rangle+b|\psi_2\rangle## are possible.
For me it seems totally legit since U is simply a rotation in Hilbert space.
It's like in the ordinary vector space where, for example, a rotation matrix ##R(45^{o})## acts on the vector ##\vec{x}=(0,1)## and rotates it to the vector ##\frac{1}{2}\vec{x}+\frac{1}{2}\vec{y}##.
$$R\vec{x}=\frac{1}{2}\vec{x}+\frac{1}{2}\vec{y}$$
$$R^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2}\vec{x}+\frac{1}{2}\vec{y}\right)=\vec{x}$$
Am I right?

My problem then is that a unitary evolution of the form ##U^{\dagger}(a|\psi_1\rangle+b|\psi_2\rangle)=|\psi_1\rangle ## seems like a "unitary wave-function collapse" and would solve the measurement problem.
If it did, I'm sure we'd know about it now. Again, the state |w1> isn't alone.

StevieTNZ said:
If it did, I'm sure we'd know about it now. Again, the state |w1> isn't alone.

What do you mean that |w1> isn't alone (and why it isn't the correct state for the description of a system)?

maxverywell said:

Except that it only works at one particular time ##t##.

Say ##|\psi_1\rangle## and ##|\psi_2\rangle## are eigenfunctions of the observable A (which necessarily does not commute with the Hamiltonian) with eigenvalues ##a_1## and ##a_2##. There is a moment when a measurement of A will yield ##a_1## with certainty, but at any time arbitrarily close to that moment, there is some probability of getting ##a_2## instead, and the collapse into ##|\psi_1\rangle## or ##|\psi_2\rangle## will be non-unitary and the measurement problem is still there.

As far as the measurement problem is concerned, this situation is no different from when I prepare a system in an eigenstate of some observable that does commute with the Hamiltonian, then make a measurement of that observable. The post-collapse state is the same as the pre-collapse state, but only because I made a very particular type of measurement on a system specifically prepared to produce that outcome.

Last edited:
Likes mfb

What is superposition?

Superposition is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, stating that a physical system can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously until it is observed or measured.

How does superposition work?

Superposition works by allowing particles to exist in multiple states or positions at the same time, until they are observed or measured. This concept is represented by the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of superposition?

The significance of superposition is that it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems, and has led to the development of technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography.

Can superposition be observed in everyday life?

No, superposition is a phenomenon that is only observed at the atomic and subatomic level. Everyday objects follow the laws of classical mechanics and do not exhibit quantum behaviors like superposition.

What are some applications of superposition?

Superposition has many practical applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. It also plays a role in technologies such as MRI machines and transistors.