1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question about the Lebesgue sigma-algebra on R^2

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Denote the Lebesgue sigma-algebra on R by [tex]\mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}}}[/tex], the Borel sigma-algebra on R by [tex]\mathfrak{B_{\mathbb{R}}}[/tex], the Lebesgue measure on R by [tex]\lambda[/tex].

Define the Lesbesgue sigma-algebra on R² [tex]\mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}^2}}[/tex] as the completion of the product Borel sigma-algebra with respect to the product Lebesgue measure on R². That is to say, [tex]\mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}^2}}=(\mathfrak{B_{\mathbb{R}}}\times \mathfrak{B_{\mathbb{R}}})_{\lambda \times \lambda}[/tex].

Now according to my text, the Lebesgue sigma-algebra on R² is also the completion of the product Lebesgue sigma-algebra on R with respect to the product Lebesgue measure on R². That is to say, we also have [tex]\mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}^2}}=(\mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}}}\times \mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}}})_{\lambda \times \lambda}[/tex].

To justify this assertion, my text proceeds to show that

[tex]\mathfrak{B_{\mathbb{R}}}\times \mathfrak{B_{\mathbb{R}}}\subset \mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}}}\times \mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}}} \subset \mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}^2}}[/tex]

How does the conclusion follow?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take completions.

4. Nov 25, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see. We'll have the double inclusion

[tex]\mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}^2}} \subset (\mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{ R}}}\times \mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}}})_{\lambda \times \lambda}[/tex]

and

[tex](\mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{ R}}}\times \mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}}})_{\lambda \times \lambda}\subset \mathfrak{L_{\mathbb{R}^2}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?