Simple question on disproving a group isomorphism

In summary, the conversation discusses attempts to prove that the additive groups \mathbb{Z} and \mathbb{Q} are not isomorphic. It is noted that finding an isomorphism f:\mathbb{Q}\rightarrow \mathbb{Z} would require f(1) to be divisible by all integers. Another approach is to show that Q is not cyclic, which can be done by looking at maps from Z to Q.
jeffreydk
I am trying to prove that the additive groups [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] are not isomorphic. I know it is not enough to show that there are maps such as, [tex]f:\mathbb{Q}\rightarrow \mathbb{Z}[/itex] where the input of the function, some [itex]f(x=\frac{a}{b})[/itex], will not be in the group of integers because it's obviously coming from rationals. I just don't know how to rigorously prove this, because just because a map is not isomorphic doesn't mean that the whole thing is not isomorphic. Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose we managed to find an isomorphism [itex]f:\mathbb{Q}\rightarrow \mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Then f(1/2) would be an integer; what happens when you look at f(1/2) + f(1/2)?

It would still be in integers right? That's why I'm confused because I can't seem to show that that property disallows the isomorphism.

Morphism is sort of on the right lines. The property that you're looking for is called divisibility. Q has it and Z doesn't. The same idea also shows that Q\{0} under multiplication is not isomorphic to R\{0} under multiplication. (One can provide an elementary counter argument based purely on set theory, of course.)

Alternatively, Z is cyclic. Can you prove that Q isn't? Actually it isn't that alternative, really. Try thinking about a map g from Z to Q. Any group hom is determined completely by where it sends 1 in Z. Can g(1)/2 be in the image?

Last edited:
Oh ok I didn't think of showing Q isn't cyclic, that's probably the simplest way to do it now that I think of it. Thanks a bunch.

Since the "cat is out of the bag," I might as well point out that I wanted jeffreydk to notice that f(1)=nf(1/n) for all n (and why is this bad?).

So your proof is based on the idea that if there is an isomorphism f:Q-->Z, then it must follow that f(1) is divisible by every integer? Hmm, not thought of that one before. It struck me as more obvious that Q isn't cyclic, i.e. look at maps from Z to Q. But it's always good to be able to do one thing in two ways, rather than two things in one way.

I definitely agree, it's good to able to prove it in a number of ways. Thanks you guys for both suggestions.

1. How can you prove that a group is not isomorphic to another group?

To prove that a group is not isomorphic to another group, you can show that the two groups do not share the same number of elements or that their operation tables are different. You can also show that the groups have different properties, such as one being abelian and the other non-abelian.

2. Can two groups with different operation tables be isomorphic?

No, two groups with different operation tables cannot be isomorphic. Isomorphic groups have the same structure, meaning that their operation tables must be identical. If the operation tables are different, then the groups are not isomorphic.

3. What is the role of the identity element in proving group isomorphisms?

The identity element plays a crucial role in proving group isomorphisms. Isomorphic groups have the same number of elements, and the identity element is a unique element that must be present in both groups. If one group does not have an identity element, then it cannot be isomorphic to a group that does have an identity element.

4. Can two groups with different orders be isomorphic?

No, two groups with different orders cannot be isomorphic. The order of a group is the number of elements it contains, and isomorphic groups must have the same number of elements. Therefore, if two groups have different orders, they cannot be isomorphic.

5. How does proving group isomorphism contribute to understanding group theory?

Proving group isomorphism is an important tool in understanding group theory. By studying the structure and properties of groups that are isomorphic to each other, we can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts and relationships within group theory. It also allows us to classify and organize groups into isomorphism classes, making it easier to study and compare groups with similar structures.