1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Redox Balancing, need confirmation

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

Question
    Cr2O72- + H2O2 → Cr3+ + O2

Attempt
    Cr2O72- + 3H2O2 + 8H+ → 2Cr3+ + 3O2 + 7H2O

Is my attempt correct. I think I had lost my grip in redox balancing.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Balancing reactions with hydrogen peroxide if oxygen and water are between products is always tricky, as these are products of the hydrogen peroxide decomposition. That means you can always combine your reaction with hydrogen decomposition reaction and you will still get something that is - from the formal point of view - correctly balanced, but it doesn't reflect any real reaction.

You can try to assume that oxygen produced has the sole source of hydrogen peroxide, that's the approach that yields correct results in the case of the reaction between hydrogen peroxide and permanganate. But just because it yields a correct result doesn't mean that's what is really happening - observed stoichiometry can agree with this approach just accidentally.

Compare http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ic00224a030

4. Oct 15, 2012 #3

AGNuke

Gold Member

Yeah. This questions seems to have infinite solutions. That's the base equation I got. There's a parallel disproportionation of Hydrogen Peroxide going on, so I guess I screwed up nonetheless.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook