Simple relativity texts for beginners

In summary, simple relativity texts for beginners are designed to introduce the basic concepts and principles of relativity in a clear and easy-to-understand manner. These texts typically cover topics such as space and time, the theory of special relativity, and the theory of general relativity, and often use relatable examples and analogies to help readers grasp the complex concepts. They are a great starting point for those looking to gain a basic understanding of the theory of relativity without getting bogged down in complex mathematical equations.
m4r35n357
pervect said:
I'm rather fond of the "Parable of the Apple", which explains gravity as geodesic deviation.
I would say that passage is essential reading for anyone contemplating GR for the first time, I had no idea it was publicly available (to some extent). IMO it is rivaled only by Galileo's Ship (for Galilean/Newtonian relativity) in terms of readability and prose.
I would like to see both recommended more to newbies, can anyone think of other brief and seminal texts (on relativity) to rival these?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I looked more into the "Parable of the Apple", I found this:
http://www1.kcn.ne.jp/~h-uchii/apple.html
It's in layman's terms and I understood it entirely. It’s a shame that I could hardly find anything else about the apple analogy.

jedishrfu said:
and I like apples (gala / macbooks).

Haha! That's funny. What about peaches? I don't know about m4r35n357, but I will definitely read these. Thanks for the links.

jedishrfu said:
Very good point, I downloaded that a while ago, and I actually mentioned it (in the pub) to a friend who really is a poet (then forgot all about it). Think I'll try to persuade him to read it, then I'll have to! Only joking, I'll read it anyway, even if it fails the brevity clause ;)

Sorry my intention was not to promote amazon, the title is
''Relativity: The Special and General Theory''
the author: Albert Einstein

it is simple, clear and beautiful ...

Ssnow said:
Sorry my intention was not to promote amazon, the title is
''Relativity: The Special and General Theory''
the author: Albert Einstein

it is simple, clear and beautiful ...
OK, that may be . . . ;)
To bring things back on topic, what I'm really asking about is short freely available texts (with no mathematics) explaining fundamental concepts, like the examples in the OP.

There is no way to explain the fundamental concepts of relativity (or any other part of physics) without mathematics. You can read some popular-science textbook to get an idea what the science is about, but you can't get it really explained.

vanhees71 said:
There is no way to explain the fundamental concepts of relativity (or any other part of physics) without mathematics. You can read some popular-science textbook to get an idea what the science is about, but you can't get it really explained.
Did you read the OP?

m4r35n357 said:
Did you read the OP?
Yep, very nice, but that's math (and not too simple math, I'd say). Many popular-science books say on there cover that they don't use math. That's honest and very nice, because you don't need to waste you time reading them. What one should really do is to try to use as simple math as possible, say at the high-school level, to explain relativity, and that's possible. Already the first part of Einstein's famous paper of 1905 is entirely understandable with some high-school math. One of the best books ever written in this spirit is

Max Born, Einstein's Theory of Relativity, Dover Publications

It was written in the early 1920ies when Born was a professor of physics at the University of Frankfurt, and he donated all the income from this book to run his institute for theoretical physics in the bad times of hyperinflation!

vanhees71 said:
Yep, very nice, but that's math (and not too simple math, I'd say).
Well now you have me a little puzzled as neither piece I mentioned contains any maths . . .

Requiring "no math" is unnecessarily restrictive. There are a lot of very good books where the math is not essential, but some is there. I don't know if they are free though.

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It was first developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century.

2. Why is it important to learn about relativity?

Relativity is a fundamental concept in modern physics and is essential for understanding many phenomena such as gravity and the behavior of objects at high speeds. It has also led to advancements in technology, such as GPS systems.

3. How does relativity differ from classical physics?

Classical physics is based on the laws of motion and gravity described by Isaac Newton, while relativity takes into account the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time. Relativity also introduces the concept of time dilation, where time can appear to move slower for objects moving at high speeds.

4. Are there different types of relativity?

Yes, there are two types of relativity: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to understand relativity?

While a basic understanding of physics can be helpful, many introductory texts on relativity are designed for beginners and do not require a deep understanding of physics. With patience and an open mind, anyone can learn about relativity.