Simple standing wave question- not exactly sure why I can't get answer?

I got it now. Thanks for your help. I still don't know what the other equation is for...In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle fingering flute that produces a frequency of 880Hz at a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius. The flute is open at both ends and the task is to find the air column length and the frequency produced when the temperature is -50 degrees Celsius. After some calculations, it is determined that the correct answer for the air column length is 0.195m and the correct frequency produced is 841Hz. The conversation also includes some confusion about the second part of the problem, which is resolved by realizing that the temperature given was actually -5 degrees Celsius, not -
~christina~
Gold Member
[SOLVED] simple standing wave question- not exactly sure why I can't get answer?!

Homework Statement

A particle fingering flute sounds note with frequency of 880Hz at 20 deg celcius(343m/s => sound wave speed) The flute is open at both ends.

a) find the air column length

b) find the frequency the flute produces at beginning of football game when ambient temp is -50.0C and muscician has not had time to warm up flute.

answers supposed to be=> a) 0.195m and b) 841m

Homework Equations

[tex]f= n\frac{v} {2L} [/tex]

[tex]v= f*\lambda [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) find the air column length

I really did try to do this and what I did was I got
v= 343m/s
f= 800Hz

[tex]342.91m/s= 800Hz \lambda[/tex]
[tex]\lambda= 2L [/tex]
L= 0.206875m=> not the answer in the book?!

b) find the frequency the flute produces at beginning of football game when ambient temp is -50.0C and muscician has not had time to warm up flute.
[tex]v= 331 \sqrt(1 + 20^oC/273^oC)= 299.1567m/s [/tex]
based on L before:
L= 0.206875m

[tex]f= v\lambda= 288.15e69/0.41375= 723.0378[/tex]=> why isnt' this matching the book answer??

Please help...
it's really a simple problem I think.

THANK YOU

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
~christina~ said:
A particle fingering flute …
A what?? :confused: … is it electron-ic? … :smile:
… sounds note with frequency of 880Hz at 20 deg celcius(343m/s => sound wave speed) The flute is open at both ends.

I really did try to do this and what I did was I got
v= 343m/s
f= 800Hz

[tex]342.91m/s= 800Hz \lambda[/tex]
[tex]\lambda= 2L [/tex]
L= 0.206875m=> not the answer in the book?

Hi christina!

You've used 800 instead of 880 - does that help? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
A what?? :confused: … is it electron-ic? … :smile:
um no, I don't think so since they don't say anything about that.

Hi christina!

You've used 800 instead of 880 - does that help? :smile:
yes that helps for the first part but I can't figure out what's wrong with the second part...I plugged in the number (found in a)to find the wavelength but then it came out ot 767Hz for the frequency.:frown: I can't figure out what's wrong with the second part.

based on L before (corrected):
[tex]\lambda= 0.389670m[/tex]

[tex]f= v\lambda= 288.15e69/0.389670[/tex]= 767.717Hz[/tex]

Thanks tiny-tim

Last edited:
~christina~ said:
based on L before (corrected):
[tex]\lambda= 0.389670m[/tex]

[tex]f= v\lambda= 288.15e69/0.389670[/tex]= 767.717Hz[/tex]

Hi!

I don't follow any of this.

Where does the difference between -50º and +20º come in? :confused:

(btw, do you Americans really play football at -50ºC?)

tiny-tim said:
Hi!

I don't follow any of this.

Where does the difference between -50º and +20º come in? :confused:

(btw, do you Americans really play football at -50ºC?)

Um...they say that the temperature is -50º so wouldn't that play a part here because if that didn't matter wouldnt' the frequency be the same as in the original question?

I don't know about football though.

I found out that the temperature was -5C not -50C so that's what was wrong...slaps forehead*

Thanks for your help tiny-tim.:smile:

Last edited:
I believe that your using the wrong equation, or at least plugging the wrong numbers in. See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html" for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hootenanny said:
I believe that your using the wrong equation, or at least plugging the wrong numbers in. See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html" for more information.

I was plugging in the wrong number for the temp (-5(right) vs -50 (wrong number))

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is the standing wave not forming?

There could be several reasons why a standing wave is not forming. It could be due to incorrect boundary conditions, incorrect frequency of the driving force, or damping effects. It is important to check all the parameters and equations involved to determine the cause.

2. How do I calculate the wavelength of a standing wave?

The wavelength of a standing wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. This can be represented by the equation λ = v/f, where λ is the wavelength, v is the speed of the wave, and f is the frequency.

3. What is the difference between a standing wave and a traveling wave?

A standing wave is a wave that oscillates in a fixed position, while a traveling wave is a wave that moves through a medium. Standing waves are created by the interference of two waves traveling in opposite directions, while traveling waves are created by a continuous source of disturbance.

4. How do I determine the nodes and antinodes of a standing wave?

The nodes and antinodes of a standing wave can be determined by examining the amplitude of the wave. Nodes are points where the amplitude is always zero, while antinodes are points where the amplitude is at its maximum. In a standing wave, there will always be a node at each end and an antinode in the middle.

5. What is the significance of standing waves?

Standing waves have many practical applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electronics. They can also be used to study the properties of a medium, such as its density and elasticity. In addition, standing waves are important in musical instruments, as they determine the different frequencies and pitches produced by the instrument.