1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing Wave on String Question

1. May 16, 2015 #1
    This is not coursework; I am preparing for an exam and this question is from a past paper. We have access to past papers but we are not given the answers to them.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two waves are generated on a string of length 2m, to produce a three-loop standing wave with an amplitude of 2cm. The wave speed is 50m/s.

A: What is the resonant frequency of the wave in Hz.
    B: If the equation for one of the waves is of the form [itex]y(x,t)=y_m \sin(kx+ \omega t) [/itex] , what are the values of [itex]y_m[/itex] , [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]\omega[/itex] for the second wave?
    C: What is the sign in front of [itex]\omega[/itex] for the second wave.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]
    L=\frac{n \lambda}{2} \\
    k=\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda} \\
    v= \lambda f = \frac{\omega}{k} \\
    [/itex]
    Other related equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The question does not specify whether the ends are open or closed (fixed) so I am assuming they are both open ends.

A:
    I have no come across the terminology "Three-loop" before but after searching the web I think it means the same thing as being in the third harmonic, if so then this is what I have done.

[itex]
    L=\frac{n \lambda}{2} \\
    2=\frac{3 \lambda}{2} \\
    \lambda = (\frac{2}{3})(2) = \frac{4}{3}m \\
    f = \frac{v}{\lambda} = \frac{50}{4/3}=37.5Hz
    [/itex]
    And that is the frequency of the third harmonic so the first harmonic would be 37.5/3=12.5 Hz

EDIT: I just noticed I didn't need to use n=3 and could have just done it with n=1 from the beginning. Why is there any need to tell me its in the third-harmonic?

B:
    Bit unsure of part B, I think it may be a bit of a trick question as throughout the course we have only dealt with standing waves where the two constituent waves have the same magnitude of amplitude wave-number and angular frequency, only have the phases differed.

So if its a trick question and they're both the same then I think this part is no problem. Oh and for part C, wouldn't it be the opposite, i.e. it would be negative.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that likely for a string? How would it be tensioned?

You will have see drawings like this..
    http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1013932/10/1013932D.jpg
    I would take it to show 1, 2 and 3 "loops".

I agree up to that point.

What does part A ask for?

4. May 16, 2015 #3
    Ah ok, yeah I can see why it would be both be fixed ends. I was used to doing problems with standing sound waves and the realted equations. What I really was getting at that I was assuming the situation to be [itex]L=\frac{n \lambda}{2}[/itex]

Part A asks for the "resonant frequency", which I thought meant the "fundamental frequency" i.e. first harmonic, i.e n=1, the lowest frequency that the standing wave can be generated at. Which (again this might be me used to doing standing sound wave problems) I always though that third harmonic is 3 times the frequency of the first, the fourth four times etc.

5. May 16, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It says resonant frequency of 'the wave', i.e. the three loop configuration, not the resonant frequency of the string.

6. May 16, 2015 #5
    Oh, right. Ok so its just 37.5Hz then? Thanks for your help.

7. May 16, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. You're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted