1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Thermodynamic Proof stumps me!

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the average number of photons per unit volume in the cavity for a temperature T is given by

n=( I / Pi^2 . (kT/c(h-bar))^3 )

where I = integral from infinity to 0. dx x^2 ((exp (x)-1))^-1 = 2.404

2. Relevant equations

You may assume the mean number of photons occupying a state at energy (strange looking e)= hbar omega when the radiation has a temperature T is

<N>=1 over exp (strange looking e/kT)-1

You may also assume that the number of available states in the angular frequency rage omega to omega plus delta omega in a cavity of volume V is given by

g(omega)d-omega = V/c^3 . omega^2 / pi^2 d-omega

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I need to do N/V however I have no idea how available states are useful to me, perhaps I could rearrange for V, but then I dont' know what g(omega) can be used for.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2009 #2
    You are given the no. of photons per state, then you're given the number of states in the range [tex]\omega[/tex] to [tex]d\omega[/tex], how would you find the total number of photons?

4. Jul 22, 2009 #3
    Um... I would times the number of states by number of photons. Is that what g(omega) d omega is refering to? So that means, If I rearrange, and have the above times by c^3 divided by omega squared and times by pi squared.. I should a formula for V...

Theres a d omega on both sides, can I just cancel them out or are they important?

5. Jul 22, 2009 #4
    Not quite...g(w) is not a constant. You'll have to integrate over the whole range of w. Besides, how is the energy of the photon related to w?

6. Jul 23, 2009 #5
    Would I integrate V/c^3 . omega^2 / Pi^2 with respect to d omega? The limits are from omega to omega + d omega, Would I just integrate it without limits to get a formula :

V. omega^3 = g(omega) omega
    -----------
    3 C^3 pi^2

and then plug something into E=H(bar) omega.

ps. is there anyway of making these formulas more neat on the forums? I 'm sure I've seen people make actually integral signs come up..

7. Jul 25, 2009 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook