1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Think Critically and Explain Question

1. Mar 26, 2006 #1
    Think and Explain

Is this label on a household product cause for concern? "Caution: This product contains tiny electrically charged particles moving at the speeds of 10000000 km per hour"

can someone please help me with this problem I would appreciate it Thanks!!:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2006 #2
    It sounds unstable, put a mr. yuck sticker on it cause it might blow up.

4. Mar 26, 2006 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

everything contain s tiny electrically charged particles moving at high speed. They're called electrons and belong to atoms.

5. Mar 26, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using a classical picture of the atoms (as little point electrons moving in orbits around nuclei) one finds that the speed they are moving at would be several millions of km/h. So *everything* contains little charged particles moving at millions of km/h, including your own body! So no cause to worry. (again, this is really not correct as quantum physics reveal that it is incorrect to think of electrons as being little particles moving around the nuclei like planets around the Sun...)

Patrick

6. Mar 26, 2006 #5
    My bad, for some reason when i saw that problem, i just thought if the electrons move fast enough the object will melt. Like when you heat up a piece of metal, the electrons move faster and faster breaking the structure.:blushing:

7. Mar 26, 2006 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you were thinking about was thermal energy. In that case, one is talking about the average motion of the *atoms* (or molecules). But even at low temperature, the elctrons are moving very fast (in the classical picture) around the nuclei.

8. Mar 26, 2006 #7
    Thanks a lot guys for the help:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?