Kinetic Theory - Mass on a piston

In summary: At some point the piston will stop accelerating. If it's not accelerating the net force on it is zero so the force due to the pressure of the gas must equal the force due to...the weight of the gas.
danielbaker453

Homework Statement

A cylinder containing an ideal gas is in vertical position and has a piston of mass ##M## that is able to move up or down without friction (Fig. 13.2). If the temperature is increases,
IMG_20170304_170404875.jpg
...Fig (13.2)
(a) both ##p## and ##V## of the gas will change.
(b) only ##p## will increase according to Charles' Law.
(c) ##V## will change but not ##p##.
(d) ##p## will change but not ##V##.

Homework Equations

##pV=nRT##
##ΔU=q+w##[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer that is given is (c) and the reasoning is that the pressure (=Mg/A) is constant. But I don't get it. I think that the pressure of the gas will increase because as the temperature increases, the molecules will start hitting the walls of the container with greater speed causing an increase in pressure. Also as the temperature increases, the internal energy will increase and work will be done by the system on the piston thus lifting it up. This will cause an increase in volume. So, as the pressure and the volume are changing the correct answer would be (a).
Could someone please explain to me why I'm wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
danielbaker453 said:
The answer that is given is (c) and the reasoning is that the pressure (=Mg/A) is constant. But I don't get it. I think that the pressure of the gas will increase because as the temperature increases, the molecules will start hitting the walls of the container with greater speed causing an increase in pressure.

That's correct but what happens next is incorrect. I mean what happens if the pressure inside is greater than Mg/A?

As the volume increases, the molecules get further apart, so the frequency of collisions with the piston decreases.

CWatters said:
That's correct but what happens next is incorrect. I mean what happens if the pressure inside is greater than Mg/A?
If the pressure inside is greater, the piston will be pushed up. This means that the pressure is changing and so is the volume(due to expansion). Am I right?

danielbaker453 said:
If the pressure inside is greater, the piston will be pushed up. This means that the pressure is changing and so is the volume(due to expansion). Am I right?
No. The pressure will stay constant.

Chestermiller said:
No. The pressure will stay constant.
But the pressure exerted by the gas has increased. I do understand that the pressure on the gas due to the mass 'M' is constant (=Mg/A) but isn't 'p' the pressure exerted by the gas?

danielbaker453 said:
But the pressure exerted by the gas has increased. I do understand that the pressure on the gas due to the mass 'M' is constant (=Mg/A) but isn't 'p' the pressure exerted by the gas?
If the piston is massless and frictionless, what does the force balance on the piston tell you?

Chestermiller said:
If the piston is massless and frictionless, what does the force balance on the piston tell you?
In that case, the only force on the piston is that exerted by the gas molecules.

danielbaker453 said:
In that case, the only force on the piston is that exerted by the gas molecules.
Sorry. I forgot that the piston is supposed to have mass. So, let me rephrase my question: If the piston is frictionless, what does the force balance on the piston tell you?

Likes danielbaker453
Chestermiller said:
Sorry. I forgot that the piston is supposed to have mass. So, let me rephrase my question: If the piston is frictionless, what does the force balance on the piston tell you?
Got it!
Now, the force exerted by the gas equals the weight of the mass 'M'.
Fgas=Mg
If we divide both sides by the area 'A'
Pgas=Mg/A
The pressure will be constant.
Thank you very much for your help!
P.S. since here Pexternal=Pinternal, is this a case of reversible expansion?

Last edited:
danielbaker453 said:
Got it!
Now, the force exerted by the gas equals the weight of the mass 'M'.
Fgas=Mg
If we divide both sides by the area 'A'
Pgas=Mg/A
The pressure will be constant.
Thank you very much for your help!
P.S. since here Pexternal=Pinternal, is this a case of reversible expansion?
The gas force per unit area on the inside face of the piston always matches the ##P_{ext}## (by Newton's 3rd law), irrespective of whether the expansion is reversible. But, in an irreversible expansion, the gas pressure in the cylinder varies with spatial position and the force per unit area at the piston face includes viscous stresses. So, in an irreversible expansion, the ideal gas law (or other equation of state) cannot be applied globally to the gas.

Likes danielbaker453
+1

At some point the piston will stop accelerating. If it's not accelerating the net force on it is zero so the force due to the pressure of the gas must equal the force due to gravity.

Likes danielbaker453

What is Kinetic Theory?

Kinetic Theory is a scientific concept that explains the behavior of particles in matter. It states that all matter is made up of constantly moving particles, and the temperature of a substance is directly related to the speed and energy of these particles.

How does Kinetic Theory relate to Mass on a Piston?

In the context of Mass on a Piston, Kinetic Theory explains how the gas particles inside the piston move and collide with the walls, creating pressure and causing the piston to move. The mass of the gas particles and their speed contribute to the overall pressure and movement of the piston.

What factors affect the behavior of Mass on a Piston?

The behavior of Mass on a Piston is affected by several factors, including the mass and speed of the gas particles, the volume of the piston, and the temperature of the gas. These factors can all impact the pressure and movement of the piston.

How is Kinetic Theory used in practical applications?

Kinetic Theory is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of engines and turbines. It is also used in the study of gas laws, such as Boyle's Law and Charles's Law, which help predict the behavior of gases in various conditions.

What are the limitations of Kinetic Theory?

While Kinetic Theory is a useful concept, it does have some limitations. It assumes that particles are in constant motion and don't interact with each other, which may not always be the case. It also doesn't take into account the forces between particles, which can affect the behavior of gases. Additionally, it is only applicable to ideal gases, not real gases which may deviate from the assumptions of the theory.