Simple Vector Addition Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of extending the magnitude of vector AC by a known amount and re-defining the coordinate points of C. The method of using similar triangles is proposed to solve the problem, with the length of line segment AC (H) and the length of the extension (h) being used to calculate the new coordinates of C'. However, there is confusion about whether to add or subtract when deriving the new coordinates, and using the similar triangle rules properly is important. The conversation also touches on using different laws (Law of Sine, Law of Cosines, and the Dot product) to calculate the new angle created by CBC', and the difference in results when holding different segments fixed.
cabala
I'm not sure if this the correct area but Ill go ahead anyways.

I have three points (A, B, and C) in 3D space that form a triangle. All three points have the (x,y,z) coordinates defined. Using the dot product I have solved for the angle θ (or in other notation the angle ABC) of the triangle.

I want to extend the magnitude of vector AC by a known amount and re-define the coordinate points of C. A picture is always worth a thousand words, so one is attached.

I do know that you can define the magnitudes of AB and BC and then simply use the law of cosines to calculate the new angle but I am trying to determine this alternative method but maybe that is why it won't work. Thanks for any help.

*edit* just slight clarification that I know how to calculate the magnitude of vector AC and since I know the magnitude of the extension CC' they can simply be added together. What I can't determine is the coordinate points of C' such that the magnitude of AC' equals AC + CC'.

Attachments

• vector question.jpg
    vector question.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 464
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use "similar triangles". Let H be the length of line segment AC (in your picture A= (-10, 30, 30) and C= (-80, 40, 40) so AC has length [itex]\sqrt{(-10-(-80))^2+ (3- 40)^2+ (30- 40)^2}= \sqrt{5100}[/itex] or approximately 71.4 ). Let h be the length of CC' (in your picture h= 10). Then each coordinate of C' has distance from A equal to (h+ H)/h (in your 81.4/71.4 which is approximately 1.14). The x-distance from A to C is -80- (-10)= -70 so the x-distance from A to C' is -70(1.14)= -79.8 and so the x-coordinate of C' must be -10- 79.8= -89.8. Do the same with the other coordinates.

HallsofIvy said:
Use "similar triangles". Let H be the length of line segment AC (in your picture A= (-10, 30, 30) and C= (-80, 40, 40) so AC has length [itex]\sqrt{(-10-(-80))^2+ (3- 40)^2+ (30- 40)^2}= \sqrt{5100}[/itex] or approximately 71.4 ). Let h be the length of CC' (in your picture h= 10). Then each coordinate of C' has distance from A equal to (h+ H)/h (in your 81.4/71.4 which is approximately 1.14). The x-distance from A to C is -80- (-10)= -70 so the x-distance from A to C' is -70(1.14)= -79.8 and so the x-coordinate of C' must be -10- 79.8= -89.8. Do the same with the other coordinates.

This is perfect and exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much. Just to clarify, I believe you intended to say, "Then each coordinate of C' has distance from A equal to (h+ H)/H...". That part is really the heart of the matter and I am still trying to understand that graphically. The numbers obviously work out. Again thank you for the quick response. *edit* once i get home i will study up on similar triangles to see if it clears up my final confusion.

HallsofIvy,

I am still having some difficulty with this vector problem. I used your method to calculate the new coordinates of C' and using those coordinates to calculate the magnitude of the vector AC' it indeed does equal the magnitude of AC + CC'.

The next part still doesn't seem to work for me. It is not shown in my original picture, but you can create a second triangle by drawing a line segment BC', hence where the similar triangles come in play. No matter which law i use, Law of Sine, Law of Cosines, or the Dot product I get a different answer for the angle created by CBC'.

This is actually a real-world mechanical situation where the line segment AC extends and retracts causing something to pivot about the point B. My colleagues simply hold AB and BC fixed, then use the new magnitude of AC (AC') and use the law of cosines to calculate the new angle. When I use the new coordinates we defined to use the dot product or whatever, I get a different answer. Why can they hold those segments fixed when AC changes? wouldn't only AB stay the same but BC change? Thanks for anymore help you can provide.

*edit* I think I figured out the problem. When deriving the new C' coordinates it is confusing whether you add or substract to get to the new coordiante number? Based on the system i defined it would seem x would increase in a negative direction and z would decrease and y would increase bu that is not the case. Although different C' coordinate points give you the same overall magnitude of AC' it does not calculate the angle properly with respect to the other segments. I guess i wasn't using the similar triangle rules properly. I think I got confused in your original response because you calculate a negative distance from A to C' but then subtract the magnitude of that number from the A point x coordinate to define the C' x coordinate and that tripped me up.

Last edited:

I can provide some insights on how to solve this problem. First, it is important to note that vector addition is a basic mathematical operation that is used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. In this case, we are dealing with a simple vector addition problem where we need to find the new coordinates of point C' after extending the magnitude of vector AC by a known amount.

One approach to solving this problem would be to use the concept of unit vectors. Unit vectors are vectors with a magnitude of 1 and are often used to represent directions in 3D space. In this case, we can use unit vectors to represent the direction and magnitude of vector AC.

To extend the magnitude of vector AC, we can simply multiply the unit vector by the desired amount. This will give us a new vector with the same direction as AC but with a different magnitude. Then, we can add this new vector to the coordinates of point A to get the coordinates of point C'.

Another approach would be to use trigonometric functions to find the components of vector AC. Since we know the angle θ and the magnitude of vector AC, we can use trigonometric functions to find the x, y, and z components of vector AC. Then, we can add these components to the coordinates of point A to get the coordinates of point C'.

In both approaches, it is important to keep in mind the direction and magnitude of the vectors in order to accurately calculate the coordinates of point C'. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the problem in 3D space to better understand the problem and find a solution.

In conclusion, there are multiple ways to solve this simple vector addition problem. As a scientist, it is important to think critically and use mathematical concepts to find a solution. I hope this helps in solving the problem and understanding the concept of vector addition.

What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to create a new vector.

What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction.

How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you must first ensure that they are in the same coordinate system. Then, you can simply add the components of each vector to get the components of the resultant vector.

What is the result of adding two vectors?

The result of adding two vectors is a new vector, known as the resultant vector, that represents the combined effect of the individual vectors.

What is the difference between vector addition and scalar addition?

Vector addition involves combining vectors with both magnitude and direction, while scalar addition involves adding quantities with only magnitude.