Simple vector problems (but causing me a headache)

• Thread starter Wishingwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitude and direction of vector operations using a scale drawing. The given equations are A+B = √(a^2 + b^2) and Tan(theta) = (ay/ax). The person is struggling with finding the correct angle and asks for help with setting up the equations, but is reminded to use a scale drawing instead.
Wishingwell

Homework Statement

For the vectors vector A and vector B in the figure below, use a scale drawing to find the magnitude and direction of the following vector operations. (A = 12.4 m, and B = 18.6 m.)
(Measure angles counterclockwise from the +x axis) Visual link below

I was digging a little online and I found another guy with the same problem. He even has the same questions I am stuck on.
http://www.cramster.com/physics-answers-5-631433-cpi0.aspx

The only thing different are the numbers I have which are stated above. Someone replied with the answer but I have no idea how he got them.

Homework Equations

The only ones I have been given are A+ B = The square root of a^2 + b^2
I also have that Tan(theta) = (ay/ax)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a correct (both the magnitude and angle). However on b I cannot get the angle correct. C and D I am on now. If any help could be provided that would be great. Moreso is how you set up the equations =) I care more on that than the actual answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just draw the vectors accurately, length and angles, then measure the length and angle of the resultant.

Hi Wishingwell! :smile:
Wishingwell said:
For the vectors vector A and vector B in the figure below, use a scale drawing to find the magnitude and direction of the following vector operations. (A = 12.4 m, and B = 18.6 m.)

Homework Equations

The only ones I have been given are A+ B = The square root of a^2 + b^2
I also have that Tan(theta) = (ay/ax)

Moreso is how you set up the equations =)

Nooo … the question asks you to "use a scale drawing", not equations. :redface:

Draw a different https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=99" for each part of the question, and just measure the third side. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a vector and how is it different from a scalar?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. This is different from a scalar, which only has magnitude and no direction.

2. How do you perform vector addition and subtraction?

To add or subtract vectors, you first need to break them down into their components (x- and y-components). Then, you can add or subtract the corresponding components to get the final result.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where c² = a² + b², or by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components.

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance in vector problems?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the change in position from an initial point to a final point, taking into account both direction and magnitude. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only refers to the total length of the path traveled.

5. How do you handle vector problems in three dimensions?

In three dimensions, vectors have three components (x, y, and z), and vector operations (such as addition and subtraction) are performed in the same way as in two dimensions. However, you may need to use vector algebra to solve more complex problems involving three-dimensional vectors.