1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple vector problems (but causing me a headache)

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the vectors vector A and vector B in the figure below, use a scale drawing to find the magnitude and direction of the following vector operations. (A = 12.4 m, and B = 18.6 m.)
    (Measure angles counterclockwise from the +x axis) Visual link below

I was digging a little online and I found another guy with the same problem. He even has the same questions I am stuck on.
    http://www.cramster.com/physics-answers-5-631433-cpi0.aspx

The only thing different are the numbers I have which are stated above. Someone replied with the answer but I have no idea how he got them.

2. Relevant equations

The only ones I have been given are A+ B = The square root of a^2 + b^2
    I also have that Tan(theta) = (ay/ax)

3. The attempt at a solution

I got a correct (both the magnitude and angle). However on b I cannot get the angle correct. C and D I am on now. If any help could be provided that would be great. Moreso is how you set up the equations =) I care more on that than the actual answer.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2
    Just draw the vectors accurately, length and angles, then measure the length and angle of the resultant.

4. Sep 11, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Wishingwell! :smile:
    Nooo … the question asks you to "use a scale drawing", not equations. :redface:

Draw a different https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=99" for each part of the question, and just measure the third side. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook