Simple what is velocity at time t problem

In summary, the helicopter's vertical speed at time t is the sum of the forces acting on it, which is mass times acceleration.
Dreaming
Simple "what is velocity at time t" problem

Homework Statement

A helicopter is lifting off. The only forces are air (up) and gravity. What is the vertical speed at time t if it took off at time t=0?

Homework Equations

g = F(air)/m, g=Δv/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

F(air)/m = Δv/Δt

v = tF(air)/m, but I'm told that this is wrong. I believe I need to include g. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org

Draw a free-body diagram for the helecopter.
The sum of the forces is mass times acceleration... acceleration of the helecopter is not going to be g.

Dreaming said:

Homework Statement

A helicopter is lifting off. The only forces are air (up) and gravity. What is the vertical speed at time t if it took off at time t=0?

Homework Equations

g = F(air)/m, g=Δv/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

F(air)/m = Δv/Δt

v = tF(air)/m, but I'm told that this is wrong. I believe I need to include g. What am I missing?
In order to determine the acceleration you have to add all the forces on the helicopter (ie. by adding the forces as vectors). As Simon points out, the best way to do this is with a vector diagram showing all the forces on the helicopter. Gravity is one of the two forces acting on the helicopter.

How is the net force (vector sum of all forces) related to the motion of the helicopter?

AM

One missing piece of information is that the upwards force from the air is probably assumed to be constant regardless of the helicopter's vertical speed (not realistic, but probably what the problem statement is assuming).

Yes, I'm pretty sure the F(air) is constant for the purposes of the problem.

So how about this: F(air) + F(weight) = ma + mg where "a" is the upward acceleration of the helicopter. BUt now I have too many variables to solve just for velocity. I have one Δv/Δt for a and one Δv/Δt for g.

What am I STILL missing?

Fnet=Fair-mg
a=Fair/m-g

For constant Fair and g.
v0=0
v(t)=(Fair/m-g)t

Last edited:

Sum of the forces equals mass time acceleration.

Formally:
1. Pick a direction to be positive.
2. Put all the forces in a row with + signs between them (some of the forces will be negative) ... then put an = sign ... then put "ma".
3. then do the algebra.

i.e.
with positive = "upwards"

Fair + (-Fweight) = ma

Notice that Fweight=mg
Put Fair=F (saves typing).

F - mg = ma => a = (F - mg)/m => v(t) = (F - mg)t/m

Notice: do step #2 like that and you'll never mess up the order.

Thank you! I see that I have been over-complicating it.

No worries :)

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. The formula for velocity is: v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti), where v is velocity, xf is final position, xi is initial position, tf is final time, and ti is initial time.

3. What are the units of velocity?

The units of velocity depend on the units used for distance and time. The most commonly used units are meters per second (m/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. How is velocity represented graphically?

Velocity can be represented graphically as a slope on a position-time graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity. It can also be shown as an arrow pointing in the direction of motion on a velocity-time graph.

5. How does velocity differ from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. While speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion, velocity is a vector quantity that also includes the direction of motion. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.