Simple word problem: Chain rule

In summary, the area of a triangle with one side increasing at a rate of 3cm/s and a second side decreasing at a rate of 2cm/s remains constant. When the first side is 20cm long and the second side is 30cm, and the angle is pi/6, the rate of change of the angle between the sides can be found using the formula for the area of a triangle (area=(1/2)*base*height) and trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.
michonamona

Homework Statement

One side of a triangle is increasing at a rate of 3cm/s and a second side is decreasing at a rate of 2cm/s. If the area of the triangle remain constant, at what rate does the angle between the sides change when the first side is 20cm long and the second side is 30cm, and the angle is pi/6?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My only question is, what is the formula for the angle between the two side? I know that it will be a function of the length of the two side, but I don't know how to find the explicit expression.

Thanks,
M

Physics news on Phys.org
Sines and cosines will serve you well.

Thanks, would you be so kind as to elaborate on your answer? I would appreciate it. My background in trigonometry is weak; although I do know how to use them on a right triangle, but in this case, I'm not quite certain.

Drop a perpendicular from one side to the other. That gives you a right triangle doesn't it? In that case you said you can do it. Then use area=(1/2)*base*height. If the two sides are a and b and the included angle is theta, what does that give you?

Last edited:

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It allows you to break down a complex function into simpler functions and find the derivative of each one separately.

2. When do you use the chain rule?

The chain rule is used when you have a function within a function, also known as a composite function. In other words, when the input of one function is the output of another function.

3. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you start by finding the derivative of the outer function, then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. It can also be expressed using the notation dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx, where u is the inner function.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule include forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function, not properly applying the chain rule formula, and not simplifying the final answer.

5. How can the chain rule be used in real-life situations?

The chain rule is used in many real-life situations, such as in physics to find the rate of change of an object's position or velocity, in economics to find marginal revenue or cost, and in engineering to find the rate of change of complex systems.