Simplified spacetime and Emc2 vs Quantum Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "simplified" spacetime and the use of mathematics and geometry in physics. The topic of calculating spacetime distance between two points on a journey is brought up, and the question of whether there is a simplified way to calculate this distance is posed. The conversation also mentions the use of spacetime intervals in relativity theory and suggests focusing on one precise question at a time. Finally, the conversation encourages the individual to state their understanding of the use of spacetime in physics and the concept of "invariance".
JackWilkinson
"simplified" spacetime and Emc2 vs Quantum Theory

I tried to post this in the textbook or homework section but it kept saying i was not allowed? So, to attempt to keep to the rules of the site i will ask my question but also try and start a discussion to try and keep things interesting.

Ive only recently been reading about maths and physics although I've always been interested in them. Unfortunatly my maths is pretty bad but I am determined to impove it.

I would also like to note that i am not doing any courses or exams and that this is purely out of interest.

After reading about spacetime i was trying to work out the spacetime distance between two towns or more to the point the spacetime distance you would make on the journey between the two towns, if we break it down into different points of the journey ie: walking to bus stop from your house, waiting for the bus, traveling on the bus, walking to train station, waiting for the train, journeying on the train etc.Is there a "simplified" (for lack of a better word) way of calculating spacetime distance?Ive been working on it on and off but i feel overwhelmed, I am quite confident with the theory behind spacetime but as usual I am having problems with the math and things are not adding up (as far as i can tell). Thank you to anybody who has any suggestions or responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

JackWilkinson said:
[..] I've only recently been reading about maths and physics although I've always been interested in them. Unfortunatly my maths is pretty bad but I am determined to impove it. [..]
After reading about spacetime i was trying to work out the spacetime distance between two towns or more to the point the spacetime distance you would make on the journey between the two towns, if we break it down into different points of the journey ie: walking to bus stop from your house, waiting for the bus, traveling on the bus, walking to train station, waiting for the train, journeying on the train etc.

Is there a "simplified" (for lack of a better word) way of calculating spacetime distance?[..]
Hi Jack, it's best to focus on one precise question at a time. :smile:

Spacetime is mathematics or geometry that is used as a tool in physics, even by different physical theories. See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

That same article also tells you how to calculate so-called "spacetime intervals", which are used in relativity theory:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invariant_interval#Spacetime_intervals

It may be helpful if you state what you understood of its use in physics - do you understand what "invariance" means in this context?

Last edited:

1. What is spacetime and how is it simplified?

Spacetime is the concept that combines the three dimensions of space and the dimension of time into one unified framework. It is simplified by using mathematical equations and models to describe the interactions between matter and energy in the universe.

2. How does the equation E=mc2 relate to spacetime?

This famous equation, proposed by Albert Einstein, shows the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). It is a fundamental part of the theory of relativity and explains how mass and energy are interchangeable in spacetime.

3. What is the difference between the simplified spacetime concept and quantum theory?

The simplified spacetime concept is based on Newtonian physics and describes the behavior of large-scale objects in the universe. Quantum theory, on the other hand, is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and describes the behavior of particles on a subatomic level.

4. Can the principles of simplified spacetime and quantum theory be reconciled?

There have been efforts to reconcile these two theories, such as the development of quantum field theory, which incorporates both concepts. However, a complete unification of the two remains a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

5. How does simplified spacetime and Emc2 vs quantum theory impact our understanding of the universe?

These theories have revolutionized our understanding of the universe, from the behavior of celestial bodies to the subatomic particles that make up matter. They have also led to advancements in technology, such as GPS systems and nuclear energy, and continue to shape our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.