Simplifying [f(10+h)-f(10)]/h for f(x)=8x²-7x+5

  • Thread starter Thread starter speed racer 5
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
speed racer 5
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Let f(x) = 8x^2 -7x +5. Then the quotient f(10 + h)/h - f(10)/h can be simplified to ah + b when a = ? and b = ?

I'm completely stumped on this one...I'm not even sure what they're asking!

Is it saying that when x=10, the rate of change is given by the function ah + b?

If so, why can't i just plug in the 10 into the derivative 16x -7 to find the slope of the tangeant line and find the equation that way ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They'r asking you to do that,no calculus involved whatsoever,just simple algebra
[tex]\frac{8(10+h)^{2}-7(10+h)+5-8(10)^{2}+7(10)-5}{h}[/tex]

Daniel.
 
OHHHHHH

I tried that but forgot to inverse the symbols within f(x) brackets...haha :blushing:

That was helpful...are you daniel jackson of stargate?
 
Might as well continue this thread with some more newbie questions

I'm trying my hand at some harder stuff that's not part of my homework.

How would I find the derivative of 5x + 3*sqrt of x ? There are two x variables so 2 h differences for each?