1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulataneous equation with surds

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    Im trying a question from one of my text books which asks me to solve simultaneously:

5x-3y = 41 and (7√2)x + (4√2)y = 82

Ive tried elimination and substitute methods but the surds confuse me so i would appreciate it if anyone can come up with some guidelines of how i should approach this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2

D H

Staff: Mentor

There is nothing special about the surds. Two suggestions if they confuse you:
    • Replace the coefficients [itex]7\surd2[/itex] and [itex]4\surd2[/itex] with named parameters such as a and b. Solve and then replace a and b with the known values.
    • Multiply both sides of the second equation by [itex]\surd2[/itex].
  4. Oct 6, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Numbers are numbers! Just go ahead and solve the equations the way you would if there were no "surds". For example, you could multiply the second equation by 3 and multiply the first equation by 4[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], then add the equations to eliminate y.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?