Simulate the temperature inside an aquarium tank

In summary, there's a website to size an aquarium heater or chiller. It has default parameters to perform a load calculation on a 100 gallon glass tank. For the tank temperature range it set to be between 150-160 degree F., and a startup time of .5 hours, all other parameters are left default. The output from the load calculation shows losses due to evaporation and conduction. To model the tank temperature over time, the user can use Python to calculate how long it will take for the tank temperature to drop the 5F for when the heating element would need energize.
bartlino
TL;DR Summary
how to create a function in Python to model an electric heating element heating a tank of water
there's a website to size an aquarium heater or chiller.

This is just for learning purposes (not for fish) but I have modified these parameters from default to perform a load calculation on a 100 gallon glass tank... For the tank temperature range I set to be between 150-160 degree F. and a startup time of .5 hours, all other parameters are left default...

hamza2.PNG

The load calc output looks like this to see all of the losses:

hamza.PNG
The question I have, is how I could I model the tank temperature over time of a 4000 watt heater cycling on and off to maintain a 150 degrees setpoint? IE, if the tank drops below 145F the heater would come on and then shut off when the tank temperature reaches 155F.

Using Python, I think I can calculate in hours how long it will take for the tank temperature to drop the 5F for when the heater would need to come on but would anyone have any tips for how I could model/calculate the tank temperature & burner cycling? (plot data over time..)

Python script:
tank_volume = 100
gall_pound_conversion = 8.33
drop_in_temp = 10 #btu per pound
btu_kwh_conversion = 3413
total_loss_evap_convection = 2692/1000 #divde by 1000 to convert watts to kW

def sim():
    value = tank_volume * gall_pound_conversion
    value = value * drop_in_temp
    value = value / btu_kwh_conversion
    value = value / total_loss_evap_convection
    return valueprint(sim())

printing the function (sim()) this yields 0.9066374569047897 which I think is in hours

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In your table, aren't you using watts in some places there should be watt hours. The difference between power and energy in this case is vital. See my signature below.

Any chance you could give me a tip ? The function in Python I think converts everything to hours steps I tried to follow:

1) Take the volume of the tank in gallons and multiply that value by 8.33 pounds per gallon to get pounds.

2) Multiply the result above by 10 BTU per pound which corresponds to a 10F drop in temperature for the entire tank.

3) Divide the result above by 3,413 to convert BTU to kWh of heat.

4) Divide the result above by the total rate of heat loss (kW) from evaporation and conduction. Remember 1 kW = 1000 Watts.

final result in hours for when the heating element would need energize. Ultimately I am looking to write a function that would model the tank temperature as the heating element cycles.. Thanks for any help, still learning :)

bartlino said:
1) Take the volume of the tank in gallons and multiply that value by 8.33 pounds per gallon to get pounds.
2) Multiply the result above by 10 BTU per pound which corresponds to a 10F drop in temperature for the entire tank.
3) Divide the result above by 3,413 to convert BTU to kWh of heat.

Before posting convert all mass to kg, all temp to °C, and all volumes to litre or m3.
Eliminate the confusion. Convert everything before or outside the procedure.

You do not need °F, pounds or BTU in computations.
Water weighs 1 kg per litre, so you do not need to differentiate between gallons(US) or gallons(imp) when you use litres.

1. How can I accurately simulate the temperature inside an aquarium tank?

To accurately simulate the temperature inside an aquarium tank, you will need to use a reliable thermometer to measure the water temperature. It is also important to consider the ambient temperature of the room where the tank is located, as this can affect the water temperature. Additionally, using a heater or chiller can help maintain a consistent temperature in the tank.

2. What is the ideal temperature for an aquarium tank?

The ideal temperature for an aquarium tank depends on the type of fish and plants living in the tank. In general, most tropical fish thrive in temperatures between 75-80°F (24-27°C). However, it is important to research the specific temperature preferences of the species in your tank and adjust accordingly.

3. How do I know if the temperature in my aquarium tank is too high?

If the temperature in your aquarium tank is too high, you may notice your fish becoming lethargic or gasping for air at the surface of the water. You may also see an increase in algae growth and a decrease in oxygen levels. It is important to monitor the temperature regularly and take action if it exceeds the recommended range for your fish.

4. Can I use a heater and a chiller in my aquarium tank at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to use a heater and a chiller in your aquarium tank at the same time. This can be useful if you have a large tank with different temperature requirements for different species of fish. However, it is important to monitor the temperature closely and make adjustments as needed to maintain a stable and suitable environment for your aquatic pets.

5. How often should I check the temperature in my aquarium tank?

It is recommended to check the temperature in your aquarium tank at least once a day, preferably at the same time each day. This will help you detect any changes or fluctuations in temperature and take appropriate action to maintain a stable environment for your fish. If you live in an area with extreme temperature changes, it may be necessary to check the temperature more frequently.

Back