Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulations / Computer programs

1. Dec 16, 2012 #1
    Hello,

Would someone please give me a list of free programs that I can use to simulate probability experiments/distributions.

Such as drawing 5 cards randomly from a deck or rolling 5 sets of 20 sided dice.

Or do I have to learn R or something?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2012 #2
    If you're just looking to pick random numbers like in the examples you described, then there are plenty out there. random.org has a generic generator as well as specific examples like coin tosses, dice, and cards.

Or, are you looking for something that will analyze the results for you too?

4. Dec 16, 2012 #3
    Something that will analyze the results. As well as a program that I can set the number of trials there are, up to the millions.

5. Dec 16, 2012 #4
    Sorry if I'm prying but if you have one program that's generating random numbers or distributions, and that same program analyzing them, all it's going to analyze is the output of it's own random number generator.

Is there something specific you want to accomplish?

6. Dec 16, 2012 #5
    I would like to be able to run a simulation similar to what this person has done:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4198125&postcount=26

7. Dec 16, 2012 #6
    I see. The random.org card shuffler can do that -- but it's one draw at a time. You can tell it to draw as many cards as you like.

Why not ask Ed what software he used? I could write you something if he doesn't answer, it would be pretty simple.

8. Dec 16, 2012 #7
    I just sent Ed a message. :P

The thing with random.org is that I don't want to sit there and keep pressing the 'Again' button until I get a million trials. I would also have to record the outcomes by hand.

9. Dec 16, 2012 #8
    Yeah I completely understand that. I'm not sure what specific 'card shuffling' software is out there that will do exactly what you want, but as I said, if he doesn't get back to you I can probably spin something up in perl pretty quick to duplicate his results.

10. Dec 16, 2012 #9
    Okay, thank you! I'll let you know if he replies or not.

11. Dec 22, 2012 #10
    Ed Collins replied. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook