Simulators for Quantum Mechanics

In summary, there is a free quantum tunneling sim available online that is highly impressive. Other advanced simulators for quantum mechanics can be found on the PhET website, with some focusing on pure quantum mechanics and others exploring broader applications. Two recommended simulations are "Quantum Bound States" and "Band Structure." These simulations can be helpful for beginners in understanding and learning about quantum mechanics.
wolfy
TL;DR Summary
Does anyone know of any simulators for quantum mechanics
A member helped me discover a new quantum tunneling sim online, it's free and quite amazing to look at.

https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/quantum-tunneling

Are there any other more advance simulators on the net and would anyone like to discuss this program with me as I am new to Quantum Mechanics

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! As I mentioned in the post in the other thread, that sim is my favorite on the PhET website-- but they have a bunch of other simulations for QM. If you look on https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/filter?subjects=quantum-phenomena&sort=alpha&view=grid you will see all of the quantum simulations (on the sidebar you can see their other simulations as well). Some of them are pure quantum mechanics, and some are broader applications of quantum mechanics.

My next recommendations would be the ones titled "Quantum Bound States" and "Band Structure."

• Informative
Likes wolfy
Isaac0427 said:
Hi! As I mentioned in the post in the other thread, that sim is my favorite on the PhET website-- but they have a bunch of other simulations for QM. If you look on https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/filter?subjects=quantum-phenomena&sort=alpha&view=grid you will see all of the quantum simulations (on the sidebar you can see their other simulations as well). Some of them are pure quantum mechanics, and some are broader applications of quantum mechanics.

My next recommendations would be the ones titled "Quantum Bound States" and "Band Structure."
Just going over at all the Sim's Now, they seem similar, however, I am a novice.

I find these excellent tools for me to use in learning QM and QM as not so intimidating now Thanks to You.

Last edited:

1. What is a simulator for quantum mechanics?

A simulator for quantum mechanics is a computer program that uses mathematical models to simulate the behavior of quantum systems. It allows scientists to study and analyze the complex behavior of quantum particles and systems, which cannot be easily observed in real-world experiments.

2. How do simulators for quantum mechanics work?

Simulators for quantum mechanics use algorithms and mathematical models to simulate the behavior of quantum systems. These models take into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, to accurately predict the behavior of quantum particles and systems.

3. What are the benefits of using simulators for quantum mechanics?

Simulators for quantum mechanics allow scientists to study and analyze the behavior of quantum systems in a controlled environment. This can help in understanding complex quantum phenomena and developing new technologies, such as quantum computers.

4. Can simulators for quantum mechanics accurately predict real-world experiments?

While simulators for quantum mechanics can accurately predict the behavior of quantum systems, there are limitations to their accuracy. The models used in these simulators are based on theoretical assumptions and may not always reflect the complexities of real-world experiments.

5. How are simulators for quantum mechanics used in research?

Simulators for quantum mechanics are used in various research fields, including quantum physics, chemistry, and materials science. They are used to study and analyze the behavior of quantum systems and to test theoretical predictions. They also play a crucial role in the development of quantum technologies.