1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simultaneously Solve a Linear and Cubic equation

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the following equations Simultaneously:
    y=x^3 and y=3x-2

My question is, how do I solve this? I've tried everything

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to isolate x in the linear equation and substitute it into the cubic. I don't know if that's wrong but it didn't work for me. This is what I did:

isolate x in linear equation: x= -2/3-y/3
    substitute this into cubic equation: y=(-2/3-y/3)^3
    I then expanded this and it didn't work.

I also tried: 3x-2=x^3
    therefore: x^3-3x+2=0
    this didn't work either! please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2011 #2
    This way is a good start; do you know about the rational root theorem?

4. Jul 30, 2011 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By inspection, there is at least one integer solution between 0 and 2 to the two equations.
    There is also another integer solution between -3 and -1.

5. Jul 30, 2011 #4
    I would prefer you told me the methods for solving the equations rather than the answer. I already know the answer by using my graphics calculator. However this is of no use to me as I want to solve it the proper way without a calculator.

I didn't. But I Googled it and I do know now. Is there any way to do these simultaneously like you can with a quadratic and linear equation?

6. Jul 30, 2011 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try to group the terms so as something can be factor out.

x3-3x-2=(x3-x)-2(x-1).

The rational root theorem is also very useful. It states: For a polynomial equation
    anxn+an-1xn-1+....a0=0,

if p is an integer factor of the constant term a0, and q is an integer factor of the leading coefficient an, the rational solution is of the form ±p/q.

In this case, a3=1 and a0=-2, so q=1, and the possible p values are 1 and 2. So you have 4 possible values for x to try if they are roots or not. If one of them (x1) is a root, you can divide the equation by the factor of (x-x1) and you get a quadratic equation to solve.

ehild

7. Jul 30, 2011 #6
    Believe it or not, inspection is actually the first thing you should always try when given a problem like this. Inspection is an entirely proper technique.

There is some meta-reasoning involved. They can't actually want to make you solve a random cubic, since that would be too difficult. There might be a simple solution. So you mentally plug in the simplest numbers ... 0, 1, -1, 2, etc. And if you do this, you find a solution.

Once you have one solution, you can do a polynomial division to reduce the cubic to a quadratic, which you know how to solve using the quadratic formula.

So even though there are a few more technical things you can and should try; the very first thing you should do is plug in the most obvious simple numbers and see if a solution pops out.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  8. Jul 30, 2011 #7

PeterO

Homework Helper

That last expression can be easily factorised into 3 linear factors, and I am sure that was supposed to be the next step in the solution.

9. Jul 31, 2011 #8

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I can see that x=1 will make the LHS = 0, so x=1 is a solution.

Now, take out the factor (x-1).

In your working for this, you divide x3-3x+2 by (x-1)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook