Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nuclear Shell Model - Spin-parity of excited states

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ground state of [tex]_{6}Cl^{13}[/tex] has spin-parity 1/2- and the next three excited states have values of 1/2+, 3/2- and 5/2+. Explain these values in terms of the shell model.

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is that i dont know what is being asked of me...i initially tried to go through the excitations and work out which configurations fit each one, but lots do!

In more detail, I know that initially there is 1 extra p in [tex]1P_{1/2}[/tex]

The initial configuration is:

[tex]
    (1s_\frac{1}{2})^2(1p_\frac{3}{2})^4(1p_\frac{1}{2 })^1
    [/tex]

A configuration that could give a spin-parity of 1/2+ for the first excitation:

[tex]
    (1s_\frac{1}{2})^2(1p_\frac{3}{2})^3(1p_\frac{1}{2 })^1(1d_\frac{5}{2})^1
    [/tex]

or

[tex]
    (1s_\frac{1}{2})^2(1p_\frac{3}{2})^4(1p_\frac{1}{2 })^0(1d_\frac{5}{2})^0(2s_\frac{1}{2})^1
    [/tex]

Now, if this is correct then we can follow on from this in 2 directions, and each one of these splits into many options for the 2nd excited state. And we do not getting any definite configuration for any of the excited states.

Am i going about this correctly? Maybe the question is asking something entirely different.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2
    no luck so far, anyone?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook