1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nuclear Shell Model - Spin-parity of excited states

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ground state of [tex]_{6}Cl^{13}[/tex] has spin-parity 1/2- and the next three excited states have values of 1/2+, 3/2- and 5/2+. Explain these values in terms of the shell model.

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is that i dont know what is being asked of me...i initially tried to go through the excitations and work out which configurations fit each one, but lots do!

In more detail, I know that initially there is 1 extra p in [tex]1P_{1/2}[/tex]

The initial configuration is:

[tex]
    (1s_\frac{1}{2})^2(1p_\frac{3}{2})^4(1p_\frac{1}{2 })^1
    [/tex]

A configuration that could give a spin-parity of 1/2+ for the first excitation:

[tex]
    (1s_\frac{1}{2})^2(1p_\frac{3}{2})^3(1p_\frac{1}{2 })^1(1d_\frac{5}{2})^1
    [/tex]

or

[tex]
    (1s_\frac{1}{2})^2(1p_\frac{3}{2})^4(1p_\frac{1}{2 })^0(1d_\frac{5}{2})^0(2s_\frac{1}{2})^1
    [/tex]

Now, if this is correct then we can follow on from this in 2 directions, and each one of these splits into many options for the 2nd excited state. And we do not getting any definite configuration for any of the excited states.

Am i going about this correctly? Maybe the question is asking something entirely different.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2
    no luck so far, anyone?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook