Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singlet oxygen in combustion-(Why is it not being used)?

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    Over the last few days I have been studing combusiton reactions.
    I have found numerous papers that all state singlet oxygen can increase the combustion efficiency.

My question is: Why is singlet oxygen not being used in todays automibiles?

It seems to me the only issue would be controlling the rate of singlet oxygen production in changing environments...

Just curious?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Question is if it is economically feasible to install converter in a car, and whether energy consumed by the converter will not lower the total performance.

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3
    Maybe safety is an issue, too. Couldn't singlet oxygen react with diatomic oxygen to form ozone?

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure you are not mistaking singlet oxygen for monoatomic oxygen? Quick googling shows that - if anything - it is exactly the opposite, it is ozone that produces single oxygen while reacting with organic molecules.

Besides, the idea is to use the singlet oxygen for combustion, so it shouldn't leave the engine.

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    Yes, I mistook monotonic oxygen for singlet oxygen.
    Sorry. At least, this time, I asked before I answered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook