Enthelpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine

In summary, The speaker is looking for data on the enthalpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine, specifically when pure fluorine is used as the oxidant in stochiometric conditions. They have found some relevant papers but they are expensive to access. They mention the possibility of estimating using bond enthalpies and Hess law and provide a link to a combustion database.
James Essig
TL;DR Summary
Trying to find data on the enthalpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine.
Hi Folks,

I have been trying to find data on the enthalpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine.

I have found the data for oxygen but am curious about the use of pure fluorine in stochiometric conditions and the resulting upper heating value when the oxidant is acetylene.

I am happy to provide the reasons for my inquiry upon request.

Note that I seem to have found some relevant papers on the subject but they can be pretty expensive to download even when renting them for a few days.

Anyone's help in this regard would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your consideration.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can always estimate using bond enthalpies and Hess law.

Likes James Essig

1. What is the enthalpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine?

The enthalpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine is the amount of heat released when one mole of acetylene reacts with one mole of fluorine to form carbon tetrafluoride and hydrogen fluoride.

2. How is the enthalpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine calculated?

The enthalpy of combustion can be calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants from the enthalpy of the products. In this case, the enthalpy of the reactants would be the enthalpy of one mole of acetylene and one mole of fluorine, and the enthalpy of the products would be the enthalpy of one mole of carbon tetrafluoride and one mole of hydrogen fluoride.

3. What factors can affect the enthalpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine?

The enthalpy of combustion can be affected by the temperature, pressure, and concentration of the reactants and products. It can also be influenced by the presence of a catalyst or any impurities in the reactants.

4. Why is the enthalpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine important?

The enthalpy of combustion is important because it provides information about the energy released during a chemical reaction. It can also be used to determine the efficiency of a reaction and to calculate the amount of heat that can be generated by a specific reaction.

5. How does the enthalpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine compare to other combustion reactions?

The enthalpy of combustion of acetylene and fluorine is relatively high compared to other combustion reactions. This is because acetylene and fluorine are highly reactive molecules, and their reaction releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat.