Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sir Roger Penrose´s contributions

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    I was trying to make a full list of the contributions of Sir Roger Penrose.
    What is missing?
    1)Twistor Theory
    2)Penrose Tilings
    3)Penrose Triangles and stairs
    4)OrchOR
    5)Conformal Cyclic Cosmology
    6)Tensors, geometry, and topology
    7)Gravitational Wave
    8)Penrose Interpretation
    9)Penrose Inequalities
    10)Penrose Limits
    11)Weyl Curvature Hypothesis
    12)Strong and Weack Cosmic Censorship Hypothesis
    13)Singularity Theorems
    14)Scientific Divulgation
    15)Spin Networks
    16)Penrose Unilluminable Room
    17)Penrose Rotation
    18)Penrose-Newman Formalism
    19)Schrödinger-Newton Equations
    20)Penrose Graphical Notation
    21)Moore-Penrose Pseudoinverse
    22)Impulsive Waves
    23)Coliding Plane Waves
    24)Penrose Diagrams
    WOW :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I attended to a talk of his, I think about conformal cyclic cosmology... It was nice, but I am not sure- is that even a "believed" field (I mean of common acceptance within scientific society)?

4. May 11, 2014 #3
    its now part of the ADS/CFT corespondance Anti-Desitter/conformal field theory

5. May 12, 2014 #4
    How about Escher's paintings? Some of them are inspired by Penrose just as I think he was inspired by Escher

6. May 12, 2014 #5

martinbn

Science Advisor

Penrose process for extraction of energy from Kerr black holes.

7. May 12, 2014 #6
    That´s right. The waterfall was inspired by penrose´s impossible triangle.

8. May 13, 2014 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

In his book "The Emperor's New Mind" he also made some original contributions to the understanding of time arrow and second law of thermodynamics. But in statistical physics the Roger's brother Oliver Penrose did much more.

9. May 13, 2014 #8

atyy

Science Advisor

I had no idea they were brothers!

10. May 13, 2014 #9
    and also Jonathan Penrose, the famous chess player, is his brother.

11. May 14, 2014 #10

Demystifier

Science Advisor

One should also not neglect how much Penrose done for POPULARIZATION of physics and mathematics.

12. May 14, 2014 #11

martinbn

Science Advisor

Penrose transform

13. May 14, 2014 #12
  14. May 14, 2014 #13
    I hadn't even heard of him :ashamed.

I had been wondering how (who I thought was Roger) Penrose got his name attached to the Penrose instability criterion of plasma physics.

15. May 14, 2014 #14

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Since many didn't know that Roger Penrose has a brother physicist Oliver penrose, perhaps many also do not know that

1) Edward Witten has a father physicist Louis Witten.

2) Bryce S. DeWitt has a wife mathematical physicist Cecile DeWitt-Morette (often signed as Cecile DeWitt).

Perhaps even less known is that

3) Andrei Linde has a wife physicist Renata Kallosh.

For completeness, let me also mention that

4) Eric Weinberg, the co-discoverer of the Coleman-Weinberg mechanism of spontaneous symmetry breaking, is not related to the Nobel laureate Steven Weinberg.

Finally, even more amusing must be the entanglement between the following 4 authors

5) http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0702225 [Rev.Mod.Phys.81:865-942,2009]
    Unfortunately, I am not able to tell anything more about them.

All of the mentioned persons made very important contributions to theoretical physics. Some of them still do.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  16. May 14, 2014 #15

atyy

Science Advisor

One of the things I don't understand in this biography of Cecile DeWitt-Morette http://www.ph.utexas.edu/utphysicshistory/UTexas_Physics_History/Cecile_DeWitt-Morette.html is the term "a tomato" as used by American servicemen in WW2. What was that?

:rofl: I knew there was more than one Horodecki, but not having looked at the first names closely, I had not realised there were 4. I suppose the name is uncommon enough in their culture that it is unlikely they are unrelated? Unlike say "Lee" in Chinese culture?

17. May 14, 2014 #16

MTd2

Gold Member

They were entangled in malfunctioning Japanese Holodeck.

18. Jun 8, 2014 #17
    Also Erik and Herman Verlinde are twins.
    And Thanu Padmanabhan married to Dr. Vasanthi Padmanabhan, who has a Ph.D. in astrophysics from TIFR, Mumbai

19. Jun 9, 2014 #18
    The Horodeckis, hailing from Gdansk, are very well known in quantum information theory; it's a father (Ryszard) and his three sons. Story goes, they used to have discussions on the kitchen door at lunch time, which had been converted into a blackboard...

Speaking about father/son teams, Roger Penrose's father Lionel, a geneticist and mathematician, has done some interesting work on self-reproducing mechanical automata; IIRC, he and his son have co-authored a paper on a set of mechanical parts that, if an original is present, will self-assemble into copies of the original if the right sort of dynamical impetus is present (i.e. if the whole assembly is vigorously shaken). So that would be another hitch on the bedpost of Penrose's contributions to science. (I just found a video of these things in action which I'd never seen before.)

One other famous father and son in physics I can think of are Niels and Aage Bohr, both of whom received the nobel prize.

20. Jun 9, 2014 #19

Demystifier

Science Advisor

That reminded me of David Bohm and Arno Bohm, each of whom has written a well-known textbook on quantum mechanics, but are otherwise unrelated.

21. Jun 9, 2014 #20

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think that was a wonderful book, in spite of the fact that the impetus for writing it was completely wrong (Penrose' belief that Godel's theorem implies the impossibility of artificial intelligence).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook