Size of the Observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity

In summary, the size of the current observable universe at the point of singularity is zero in the classic big bang theory, as the scale factor goes to zero. However, in more sophisticated models such as inflation, the size may have been slightly larger depending on the specific model. The issue of the entire universe being infinite does not affect the finite size of the observable universe at t=0 due to the finite speed of light.
Drakkith
Mentor
Just a quick question. How big was the current observable universe at the point in time where we reach 'singularity conditions' in the early universe? I'm assuming it can't be a single point, as there is no way that I know of to make a zero-dimensional point into a 3-dimensional object or space.

Space news on Phys.org
If by "observable universe" you mean the region of space through which light has traveled since the big bang (since the 'singularity conditions') then by necessity it has zero volume. But what do you mean by 'singularity conditions'?

Drakkith said:
Just a quick question. How big was the current observable universe at the point in time where we reach 'singularity conditions' in the early universe? I'm assuming it can't be a single point, as there is no way that I know of to make a zero-dimensional point into a 3-dimensional object or space.
If you take the big bang theory seriously, its size would have been identically zero. That's what the singularity means. And that's why it's nonsense.

In order to get an answer different from zero, you have to make use of another model, such as inflation or the LQC bounce.

Chalnoth said:
If you take the big bang theory seriously, its size would have been identically zero. That's what the singularity means. And that's why it's nonsense.

In order to get an answer different from zero, you have to make use of another model, such as inflation or the LQC bounce.

Take the radius of the current observable universe. As we look backwards in time, this radius shrinks. I was under the impression that at t=0 this radius is not zero and that the singularity doesn't come from computing the radius/volume of the universe, but from something else in the math. Is that incorrect?

Drakkith said:
Take the radius of the current observable universe. As we look backwards in time, this radius shrinks. I was under the impression that at t=0 this radius is not zero and that the singularity doesn't come from computing the radius/volume of the universe, but from something else in the math. Is that incorrect?
The scale factor at that point goes to zero. You can't say that the entire universe was a single point, because the classic big bang universe is infinite, and infinity multiplied by zero is indefinite. But because the observable universe is finite, its size would have been zero when the scale factor reaches zero.

Of course, in an inflationary or other more sophisticated model, the scale factor would not have been zero at that point in time. Exactly how big it would have been is highly dependent upon the specific model, though it had to be quite tiny. With inflation, for example, it depends upon the energy scale of inflation.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up!

The 'size' of the observable universe is only an issue if the universe is finite. To extrapolate backwards to t=0 yields a nonsensical result. It would be like extrapolating a person's size backwards in time and concluding it was zero at conception.

Chronos said:
The 'size' of the observable universe is only an issue if the universe is finite. To extrapolate backwards to t=0 yields a nonsensical result. It would be like extrapolating a person's size backwards in time and concluding it was zero at conception.

I'm not sure I understand. The observable portion of the universe is always finite. What does the issue of whether or not the entire universe is infinite have to do with this?

The observable region is always finite in a universe of finite age, as noted by bapowell. Due to the finite speed of light, the observable universe is, by definition, a singularity at t = 0, but, this is unphysical [an illusion] in an infinite universe, which must always be infinite.

1. How big was the observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity?

The observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity is estimated to have a size of approximately 10^-27 meters. However, this size is constantly expanding as the universe continues to expand.

2. Is the observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity the same as the current observable universe?

No, the observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity was much smaller than the current observable universe. It has expanded significantly since the Big Bang, and will continue to do so.

3. How do scientists determine the size of the observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity?

Scientists use various methods, such as cosmic microwave background radiation and the expansion rate of the universe, to estimate the size of the observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity.

4. Can we ever know the exact size of the observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity?

It is impossible to know the exact size of the observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity, as it occurred over 13 billion years ago and our current technology and understanding of the universe is limited. However, scientists can make educated estimations based on available data.

5. Does the size of the observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity have any implications for the future of the universe?

The size of the observable universe at the Big Bang Singularity does not have any direct implications for the future of the universe. However, it does provide insight into the early stages of the universe and how it has evolved over time.