Sizing of a damping - spring - mass system

In summary, the person is seeking help in sizing a rotational spring and damping system for a mass on a rod that needs to be rotated 60 degrees within 120 seconds. They have written the generic differential equation and are looking for assistance in determining the damping coefficient and spring constant. An image was also attached for reference.
miou@mitsou
Hello All,

I have come across a problem, which has troubled me for some time now. What needs to be done is the following:

A mass on a rod 0.6m (mass less) has a mass of 1 kgr attached at the end of it. The rod needs to be rotated 60 degrees, within t=120 sec (see image). What I would like to do is size a rotational spring (located at the pivot point) and a damping system, such that it that will damp the spring force. Thus the rotation happens within the specified amount of time.

I have written the generic differential equation of the system:

IΘ"+CΘ'+KΘ=0

and for a critical damped system for t=0, Θ=0 I have the solution:

Θ(t)=A*t*exp(-bt)

where A is a constant, and b is the damping coefficient.

My question is how can I continue, such that I can size the damping coefficient and the spring constant ?

CmBZ8TG
https://imgur.com/CmBZ8TG
CmBZ8TG

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You mention an image attachment. Could you please edit your post and attach it?

Thanks

done...

1. What is damping in a spring-mass system?

Damping refers to the dissipation of energy in a spring-mass system, which is necessary to prevent the system from oscillating indefinitely. It is typically achieved through the use of a damping element, such as a shock absorber or viscoelastic material, which converts the kinetic energy of the system into heat.

2. How is damping ratio related to the performance of a spring-mass system?

The damping ratio, also known as the damping coefficient, is a measure of how much damping is present in a spring-mass system. A higher damping ratio results in a faster decay of oscillations and a more stable system. However, too much damping can also lead to a decrease in the system's natural frequency and overall performance.

3. What is the effect of increasing the spring constant on a spring-mass system?

Increasing the spring constant, also known as stiffness, will result in a higher natural frequency and a more responsive system. This can improve the system's ability to resist external forces and maintain stability. However, too high of a spring constant can also increase the stress on the system, potentially leading to failure.

4. How does the mass of the system affect its performance?

The mass of the system plays a crucial role in its performance. A heavier mass will result in a lower natural frequency and decreased responsiveness. On the other hand, a lighter mass will result in a higher natural frequency and a more responsive system, but may also make it more susceptible to external forces.

5. What are the main factors to consider when sizing a damping-spring-mass system?

The main factors to consider when sizing a damping-spring-mass system are the desired level of damping, the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the system, and the external forces that the system will be subjected to. These factors must be balanced to ensure optimal performance and stability of the system.